• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCGamer Rules Need to Change

J

District 13
Reaction score
  • This includes modifying files in your .minecraft to give a advantage such as increasing the gamma to give effect of full bright.
This is the rule for gamma/fullbright. Modifying files in your .minecraft to give an advantage. I read from bcfcAnt 's thread that he was permanently banned for using a resource pack with a brighter lightmap. Now yes, this may seem like it was gamma and I can see why moderators would ban for this, but why is gamma not allowed. There are many arguments coming from the community's point of view as well as a moderator's point of view. It's safe to say that the majority of the community believes that gamma should be allowed while most of the moderators would say no.

Coming from a community member's point of view, it's absolutely absurd that gamma is not allowed. Yes, it may help players find others in dark places of a map or it can benefit you in UHC, but what about f3+a and f3+b or whatever was the command for players to enable the hitboxes on entities such as arrows, items, and other players. Those are all easily available for any player to see others as well.

Computers/Laptops/Macs come into effect as well. I read from another member of the community how he had an old laptop before making him unable to see in dark places due to his monitor screen. When he upgraded, it became a lot better for him but what about the other players playing on this server with the same or even worse monitors they own. It's not their fault if they are unable to pay for a better one and with gamma, it would definitely be helpful towards their gameplay.

We have UHC. UHC stands for Ultra HardCore in case anyone did not know. It's a gamemode where you mine for ores and armor and kill everyone else until you are the last man standing. This gamemode is on this server yet we do not allow a certain mod called UHC Essentials. The main reasons why it is a banned mod is because that it has gamma/fullbright as well as the ability to show arrows or an extra inventory slot as some would say. I can see where the staff is coming from with the extra inventory slot but I would like to point out that MCGamer allows a mod called ArmorStatus. It shows the statuses or your armor without going into your inventory as well as the durability of the items you are holding. Once you hold the bow, you are also able to see how many arrows you have in your inventory so with that in mind, why do we allow this mod but not UHC Essentials even though there is literally a gamemode called UHC on this server.

Players coming in from different servers. We share a player database with most PvP servers such as Kohi, Badlion, etc. Those servers allow gamma and players will use gamma on theirs. When switching from server to another, we will usually have the same mods on when joining. It's a pain to constantly switch from profile to another and let's say a new player joins this server, they had gamma on and didn't know it was against the rules. Not every new player will immediately go on the forums and read the rules. They will first play a game on our servers only following the usual rules that most minecraft servers follow (No spamming, flooding, hacking, racism, etc.)

The last argument is simply that it gives an unfair advantage to players using it. What unfair advantage does it give? If we're going into unfairness, I could also argue that zooming in with OptiFine is unfair as it allows me to see chests clearer in the distance or other players far away. It also allows me to see items on the ground that I could not see if I did not zoom in. If we're talking about unfairness, then the players playing with a monitor that's more brighter than others is unfair as they are able to see more clearer.

This rule needs to change. I could say that almost all of the community members would want gamma to be allowed on this server and even some moderators wanting it to be changed. I propose that we take a poll for this and let a democracy vote decide this. If the majority of the community votes yes, then why would it be a big problem for it to be allowed if most of us agree with it.

If anyone has any arguments towards this, I will gladly take it into consideration and will possibly see why it is not allowed, but do not make any arguments simply stating that "it's just unfair."

Kqytlyn

Spectator
Reaction score
I know, or at least have people with higher knowledge to give an opinion or handle situations like that. They need more experienced staff members which is half the reason I reapplied because I don't like where the community is going imo...

N

Nikola

To be honest the only reason why I think this rule is pointless is because anyone can bypass it easily. If you're not a youtuber, you can use gamma easily and not get punished. I think it should be removed as a rule, but there's wayyyy more important things to deal with such as the anti-cheat, hackers et cetera.. Right now, I agree with you mostly but there's this one fact that you mentioned that really isn't correct.

It's a pain to constantly switch from profile to another and let's say a new player joins this server, they had gamma on and didn't know it was against the rules. Not every new player will immediately go on the forums and read the rules.
How is it pain to switch profiles? If you can't close your minecraft and switch to another profile which would take around 10-15 seconds then really I have nothing left to say. Also about rules it's not staff's fault because players didn't read or don't know the rules. It's players responsibility to read them and not break them, whether they are new or not. So you basically said if someone is new and breaks the rules they shouldn't be punished like wat.

btw. sexy thread

Yannick

District 13
Reaction score
Much the same of Optifine. Not everyone has Optifine, either.
Optifine is used to enhance the Minecraft performance. It comes along with the zoom feature. We don't just want to disallow this amazing mod just for that.
Increasing your gamma is so you can see better in the dark, there for giving you an advantage over others.
In my opinion increasing your gamma is a bigger advantage than the zoom feature.

AGFire2013

District 13
Reaction score
I agree. It's very easily accessible and can be done by anyone, and it's pretty much a Minecraft option, much like F3+A. I also know there's another modification that's allowed that mostly more advanced PvPers use that's also done by editing the downloading regedit that improves hits or something fancy, and that's not bannable.
Honestly, if you can learn how to download and run Optifine, you can change your gamma.

Last edited:

J

District 13
Reaction score
To be honest the only reason why I think this rule is pointless is because anyone can bypass it easily. If you're not a youtuber, you can use gamma easily and not get punished. I think it should be removed as a rule, but there's wayyyy more important things to deal with such as the anti-cheat, hackers et cetera.. Right now, I agree with you mostly but there's this one fact that you mentioned that really isn't correct.

How is it pain to switch profiles? If you can't close your minecraft and switch to another profile which would take around 10-15 seconds then really I have nothing left to say. Also about rules it's not staff's fault because players didn't read or don't know the rules. It's players responsibility to read them and not break them, whether they are new or not. So you basically said if someone is new and breaks the rules they shouldn't be punished like wat.

btw. sexy thread
I did exaggerate on that one but for some people, it does take quite a while depending on their computer. As for new players joining, there isn't any notice in-game to read the rules. As I know, the rules are under the hub where most players first join and next to a board of Sr. Staff members when the Survival Games lobby was built. Yes, it is their fault for not reading the rules, but there should be more of an easier way to read the rules in-game as well.

The problem with that is, most people don't know about it or don't know how to do it..

Nice thread Jeffrey!
There could possibly be a guide created by a staff member on how to download gamma. Players also wanting to download gamma/fullbright could easily search a Youtube Tutorial and quickly learn how.

Optifine is used to enhance the Minecraft performance. It comes along with the zoom feature. We don't just want to disallow this amazing mod just for that.
Increasing your gamma is so you can see better in the dark, there for giving you an advantage over others.
In my opinion increasing your gamma is a bigger advantage than the zoom feature.
Yes, gamma is probably more of an advantage over others but what about f3+a and the other command to enable hitboxes on other players. This also helps them to see players in the dark more clearer. Another point is simply that gamma can be bypassed very easily as well as Player Tracker. The reason being is that a player needs to record themselves using it to be banned. This will only target Youtubers being banned by this and players knowledgeable of the allowed and disallowed mods on this server would know what and what not to upload if they do record.

I agree. It's very easily accessible and can be done by anyone, and it's pretty much a Minecraft option, much like F3+A. I also know there's another modification that's allowed that mostly more advanced PvPers use that's also done by editing the .minecraft folder (I think?) that improves hits or something fancy, and that's not bannable.
Honestly, if you can learn how to download and run Optifine, you can change your gamma.
It isn't modifying your .minecraft folder. If it was, it would be bannable which it states in the rules. It's called regedit and it's allowed on this server. It improves your ping latency towards this server which isn't that bad but with regedit, it can change the knockback of a player somewhat reducing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I don't have time to make a detailed post, but I whole-heartedly agree there needs to be re-evaluation in the way we look at gamma given how we're practically the only compwtitive network; or only network at all that still punishes for gamma.

Given that and the rising popularity of texture pack makers making broght lightmaps (that are NOT gamma) I think it's time to reevaluate.

J

District 13
Reaction score
I don't have time to make a detailed post, but I whole-heartedly agree there needs to be re-evaluation in the way we look at gamma given how we're practically the only compwtitive network; or only network at all that still punishes for gamma.

Given that and the rising popularity of texture pack makers making broght lightmaps (that are NOT gamma) I think it's time to reevaluate.
Nice typing from your phone ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci