• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Microsoft buys Minecraft for 2.5 billion dollars ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blamph

District 13
Reaction score
RIP Minecraft.

Seriously, so many great games (or even companies for that matter) that started from small time developers or build teams have ended up going downhill after being bought from the big time companies. I will be involved in a paid internship starting April 2015 for Microsoft, so I feel I should probably side with them, but I honestly can't. The only good that I can see from them taking over is quicker update times, but so much can also go wrong.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

MagmaYeti

Platinum
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is excited about this??? I mean really the game is going to probably going to get so much better to play so you don't have to have a super computer to run a 16 bit game now that Microsoft owns Minecraft.

ImProfuse

Survivor
Reaction score
I don't think Microsoft will make the game worse, they have probably done a tons of reasearch about the game and the Community. The chanes of Microsoft ruining the game are very slim because Microsoft KNOWS how much income they can get out of this game as long as they don't ruin MC.

Next, the Youtubers... people are worried that Youtubers will no longer be able to record MC content. That would be beyond stupid of Microsoft to do that, Microsoft isn't stupid, they won't dis-allow Minecraft content on Youtube because they know the Majority of people that buy this game is because of Youtubers. Youtubers ADVERTISE this game for FREE, they won't pass up on that opportunity.

Third of all, to the people who actually think that you'll probably have to pay to change skins, resource packs, go to the Nether or whatever, that's not going to happen, Microsoft knows how much income MC generates, they're not going to implement that, otherwise that would be down right stupid of them.

TL;DR RIP Minecraft? Nah, Microsoft isn't going to spend 2.5 billion bucks to sabotage a game.

Last edited:

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I don't think Microsoft will make the game worse, they have probably ton lots of reasearch about the game and the Community. The chanes of Microsoft ruining the game are very slim because Microsoft KNOWS how much income they can get out of this game as long as they don't ruin MC.

Next, the Youtubers... people are worried that Youtubers will no longer be able to record MC content. That would be beyond stupid of Microsoft to do that, Microsoft isn't stupid, they won't dis-allow Minecraft content on Youtube because they know the Majority of people that buy this game is because of Youtubers. Youtubers ADVERTISE this game for FREE, they won't pass up on that opportunity.

Third of all, to the people who actually think that you'll probably have to pay to change skins, resource packs, go to the Nether or whatever, that's not going to happen, Microsoft knows how much income MC generates, they're not going to implement that, otherwise that would be down right stupid of them.

TL;DR RIP Minecraft? Nah, Microsoft isn't going to spend 2.5 billion bucks to sabotage a game.
Due to the rather unique nature of how MC and it's community works, I feel that limiting policies they have will probably be bent so that they don't get screwed over on their investment. While I'm not sure if they'll ever add things you can pay for (which I'm not inherently against) I strongly doubt any current things about the game itself will be altered.

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
Or we could just stop jumping to conclusions and let time tell what will happen to the game ._.

But as some others said, I think that Microsoft will probably make an exception for this game, and keep it as it is since there isn't any other community out there just like ours.

Ikanacanyon7

District 13
Reaction score
Or we could just stop jumping to conclusions and let time tell what will happen to the game ._.

But as some others said, I think that Microsoft will probably make an exception for this game, and keep it as it is since there isn't any other community out there just like ours.
Id love to beleive that, but untill we get confirmation its impossible to know... and its already sad that we cant rest assured Microsoft wount screw the community over with its rules. In the end, its a Huge world wide company we are talking about here, and theres not one of those that does care more about its customers than money.

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
PC Minecraft has a lot of stuff which the versions on mobile and XBox don't have, so I don't understand what you're trying to imply.

Anyways guys, instead of being so pessimistic, why don't you just wait for a little bit more information? Literally all I've seen is DLC EXPANSION PACKS HURR DURR DIS SUX. They're not going to buy a company for $2 billion dollars just to make a short term profit, they're in this for the long run and will want to keep users.
Exactly what I've been thinking.

No company in their right mind would purchase a game with such a high status and popularity as minecraft for 2.5 billion dollars, and simply toss it away.

There is no doubt in my mind that they know the stature of minecraft, and it's community. Microsoft probably is completely aware of what this community would enjoy, and would not enjoy. I do not see them adding all these infamous DLC's and pay-to-play features. Thought it's arguable big companies are "money-hungry"l they aren't stupid. Minecraft doesn't work as a pay-to-play game, and they'd lose whatever business they made making it as such.

I think they have some plans, but overall, I don't see them changing too much, but who knows- it's all up in the clouds until announcements are made, or anything actually happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci