• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Microsoft buys Minecraft for 2.5 billion dollars ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.

emal2012

Survivor
Reaction score
I'm sorry and excuse my language but
Holy -snip-
This is the first thread I have made and never expected it to get so many replies, esp not from this many mods and Blamph ;-;
Ily guys <3 no homo

Last edited by a moderator:

Teku3O

Career
Reaction score
One good thing I can see if they block mods is no more hacked clients. ;DDD
What about Optifine? Or am I dumb (if so I'm screwed for life)
I'm sorry and excuse my language but
Holy Sh*t
This is the first thread I have made and never expected it to get so many replies, esp not from this many mods and Blamph ;-;
Ily guys <3 no homo
Well someone was bound to make one at some point :b

Iametal

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
While we are all rambling all about Microsoft buying Minecraft

Notch is probably enjoying a glass of wine in his giant mansion.

Teku3O

Career
Reaction score
While we are all rambling all about Microsoft buying Minecraft

Notch is probably enjoying a glass of wine in his giant mansion.
And your point is? He deserves it. We wouldn't have been here if it wasn't for him tbh.

Blamph

District 13
Reaction score
I don't think Microsoft will make the game worse, they have probably done a tons of reasearch about the game and the Community. The chanes of Microsoft ruining the game are very slim because Microsoft KNOWS how much income they can get out of this game as long as they don't ruin MC.

Next, the Youtubers... people are worried that Youtubers will no longer be able to record MC content. That would be beyond stupid of Microsoft to do that, Microsoft isn't stupid, they won't dis-allow Minecraft content on Youtube because they know the Majority of people that buy this game is because of Youtubers. Youtubers ADVERTISE this game for FREE, they won't pass up on that opportunity.

Third of all, to the people who actually think that you'll probably have to pay to change skins, resource packs, go to the Nether or whatever, that's not going to happen, Microsoft knows how much income MC generates, they're not going to implement that, otherwise that would be down right stupid of them.

TL;DR RIP Minecraft? Nah, Microsoft isn't going to spend 2.5 billion bucks to sabotage a game.
I have to argue against some of your points:

I'm sure they've done quite a bit of research into the game, its history, and the community that surrounds it. After all, they spent billions to buy it, right? Wrong. Microsoft has bought multiple rights to games, and game studios in the past, and out of all of them only one went on to make a decent profit for them. That company was Bungie, whose developers openly admitted to the stifling business environment that Microsoft tried to bring in after they acquired them. Halo games lacked in the fresh quality that they had in the beginning before the acquisition was made, so much so that Bungie decided to buy themselves back so they could be a small time game developing company. Lionhead and Rare are two others (there has been a smaller time game company that they bought also but these three are the large ones) that they bought, only to be relegated to mediocre games or complete obscurity after the acquisitions. Rare was a big one for me personally, as that studio made some amazing games that were big parts of my childhood. Lionhead was shifted into a cash cow that they openly milk for money with the Fable franchise.

As for the YouTubers, I understand where they are coming from with the anger. To say that they (Microsoft) won't disallow it is an assumption with no proof to validate that. They already have rules and sanctions against YTers making a profit to advertise their other games (in which these YTers could theoretically also advertise for them for free, just like Minecraft has in the past), but in Microsofts mind, these YTers aren't advertising for free. They are advertising on their dime. If what you said was true, then they just simply wouldn't already have rules and regulations up against YouTubing/streaming.

I'll sum it up in this way. Microsoft buys companies or the rights to certain things for one sole purpose: to "hopefully" make a big profit (milk the game/company for what its worth) and to hopefully gain praise for that profit so that they can go on to make even more profit! Yay, money! They aren't going to give Minecraft, or any of their games the love, focus, and dedication that a small time gaming studio typically gives to their games. They just simply won't, because they are in it for the quick profit and usually to link their game to another service of theirs. Basically, they like money.. a lot. And because they are simply buying the game, that means they have something up their sleeves to hopefully make them even more money back. Keyword in that last sentence is hopefully, because Microsoft as of the last half decade has done a phenomenal job at sabotaging not just a game, but itself. You can find lists online of their many large-scale and costly failures of the past 14 years. They are typically very late to parties, but hey, on the plus side they created the Xbox 360 and Windows 7, those weren't so bad!

Edit: I wanted to also add that for those who look at Microsoft as some phenomenal, innovative and truly caring company, think about them in this light: The people at the top of the company are no longer those who were with it in the beginning. These aren't the guys like Ballmer and Gates who truly had a passion for computing and innovating things/programs. The people at the top nowadays are the people who were best at business and making profits. They don't care about the products they make, as they don't put the time into actually making those products. They care about meeting certain goals within certain (and often way too short of time) time frames, and if those goals aren't achieved for that product, then that product is essentially shelved. They don't put the money to paying their developers for more developing time, therefor the game or product goes on the bottom of the priority list and boom, they tally it as a lost cause. This goes for other top dogs out there like Activision and EA, though Activision to a lesser extent.

Last edited:

emal2012

Survivor
Reaction score
I have to argue against some of your points:

I'm sure they've done quite a bit of research into the game, its history, and the community that surrounds it. After all, they spent billions to buy it, right? Wrong. Microsoft has bought multiple rights to games, and game studios in the past, and out of all of them only one went on to make a decent profit for them. That company was Bungie, whose developers openly admitted to the stifling business environment that Microsoft tried to bring in after they acquired them. Halo games lacked in the fresh quality that they had in the beginning before the acquisition was made, so much so that Bungie decided to buy themselves back so they could be a small time game developing company. Lionhead and Rare are two others (there has been a smaller time game company that they bought also but these three are the large ones) that they bought, only to be relegated to mediocre games or complete obscurity after the acquisitions. Rare was a big one for me personally, as that studio made some amazing games that were big parts of my childhood.

As for the YouTubers, I understand where they are coming from with the anger. To say that they (Microsoft) won't disallow it is an assumption with no proof to validate that. They already have rules and sanctions against YTers making a profit to advertise their other games (in which these YTers could theoretically also advertise for them for free, just like Minecraft has in the past), but in Microsofts mind, these YTers aren't advertising for free. They are advertising on their dime. If what you said was true, then they just simply wouldn't already have rules and regulations up against YouTubing/streaming.

I'll sum it up in this way. Microsoft buys companies or the rights to certain things for one sole purpose: to make a big profit and to hopefully gain praise for that profit so that they can go on to make even more profit! Yay, money! They aren't going to give Minecraft, or any of their games the love, focus, and dedication that a small time gaming studio typically gives to their games. They just simply won't, because they are in it for the quick profit and usually to link their game to another service of theirs. Basically, they like money.. a lot. And because they are simply buying the game, that means they have something up their sleeves to hopefully make them even more money back. Keyword in that last sentence is hopefully, because Microsoft as of the last half decade has done a phenomenal job at sabotaging not just a game, but itself. You can find lists online of their many large-scale and costly failures of the past 14 years. They are typically very late to parties, but hey! On the plus side they created the Xbox 360 and Windows 7, those weren't so bad!
Your scaring me now blamph .-.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci