• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Mod Applications Now Accept 1 Year Old Temporary Bans

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. That title is a mouthful. But it gets the point across.

A while ago, a Community Discussion thread was posted with the title, "Should Ex-Hackers be Considered for Mod?". The discussion was highly productive and displayed a surprising amount of support for ex-hackers who wished to become staff members. The thoughts that were expressed have been held in the staff's mind for quite some time, and eventually a serious discussion began within the Sr. Staff about reforming our application process with that thread in mind.

A vote was held, and a decision was passed.
Temporary bans that are older than 1 year will no longer disqualify anyone from a moderator position.

If you wish to apply for a moderator position, and you have a temporary ban on your record, you will be allowed to apply normally once one full year has passed since the date of your ban. The offense does not matter, but it will likely be a considering factor with your application. Do be aware that any recent kicks, mutes, and non-ban punishments will be held to a higher level of scrutiny as a result of this, so we hope your history is otherwise spotless. Permanent bans will not be forgiven.

The decision was based on community sentiment and a belief of forgiveness with time. As shown in that discussion, the community was supportive of forgiving past actions and trusting someone with an imperfect past with a position of authority. The rest was a matter of time, and how long it would take for a previously-banned user to illustrate to everyone that they are reformed. While estimates varied quite a bit amongst the initial discussions, the Sr. Staff eventually decided that given the age of our community and the speed at which the Minecraft community operates, one year was a sufficient amount of time to prove someone's attitude.

In the discussion, the idea of having a special application process for previously-banned players was brought up numerous times. This option was also explored by the staff, but it was found to be impractical for the number of people we estimated would apply with previous bans. A separate application process would add a second layer of bureaucracy to the application process, taking up valuable time for what accounts to little outcome. The suggestions that included requirements for the staff to hang out with the previously-banned players in order to gauge their personalities would be too much of a time and personnel commitment, especially since staff members have other, more pressing responsibilities. General forgiveness over a certain amount of time added no additional level of bureaucracy whilst still proving one's integrity.

Ultimately, it was decided that if a player that was previously banned managed to clean themselves up and walk on the right side of the law for one full year, that user has proven that they are reformed, and thus worthy to be considered for a moderator position.

You can find our MCGamer Application section here: LINK.

Blazerboy | Noah

District 13
Reaction score
i'm glad the upper staff decided on this, it will definitely be worth your while for some folks :D

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
Am I the only one who saw the title and was thinking something about 1 year old babies can now get mod? xD

Anyway, it is nice to hear this, hopefully we can get another boost in staff from this.
To anyone new that applies, good luck!

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Glad you considered the idea and opened up the apps. I think some deserving candidates could soon be mods if they decide to take the opportunity.

Educating_

Platinum
Reaction score
Of course they do this now... ;-; I was denied for a ban.

OhFancy

District 13
Reaction score
Great idea, I wish luck to user's that apply from this time on. Hopefully we can see an increase in staff members.

Thankyou Col. :)

Manos

Diamond
Reaction score
Thank you so very very much

With me, I was denied instantly when in my interview by aqua tech for having a previous temp ban, do I get to go back instantly once the year is over ? Or do I have to apply once again?

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I must say, I'm quite glad about this change.
I knew about the policy a little while ago thanks to a certain friend of the senior staff who told me, but I'm no less joyful to hear that it's been made official.

As a person who has a previous ban that prevented me from applying for Moderator, I was hoping for a policy of this sort to be implemented, and I know that I'm not the only one who was hoping for this, as shown by the vote and community support.
One "pro" of this policy that I feel is slightly untold on the forums is that people who actually have spent 1 or more years on MCSG are usually quite experienced and knowledgeable about the game and community, more so than new members who may be mature but are lacking applicable experience. Then again, there is also the section of the application asking for previous staff experience.

When all is said and done, I can definitely see some new Moderators from among the old members, and I'm looking forwards to it.

Edit: On that note, if anyone is wondering - I won't be applying for Moderator quite yet. Sorry, I know there's quite a few people that want me to, but I need to make sure that it won't get in the way of my forum-habits, school, family life, and gaming.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci