• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Petition: More Australian servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ava

Administrator
Reaction score
The main problem we see with Australia right now is that as you've probably noticed due to the random drops, our current datacenter really sucks, to be blunt. It's extremely difficult to find a good datacenter in Australia, and we're obviously still looking for a better one, but pretty much any datacenter in Australia is ridiculously expensive as well - as an example, 25 AU servers (1 node) cost roughly same as 125-150 US servers (5-6 nodes).

You state above that regardless of cost, "all my arguments are completely valid". Whether or not this is true, the cost is one factor limiting us. While not the main factor, we'd rather not put that much money into the type of service that we've been getting from our current Australian datacenter recently, so as I said, we're looking for a better one before we invest in more AU servers.

gianteye123

Diamond
Reaction score
The main problem we see with Australia right now is that as you've probably noticed due to the random drops, our current datacenter really sucks, to be blunt. It's extremely difficult to find a good datacenter in Australia, and we're obviously still looking for a better one, but pretty much any datacenter in Australia is ridiculously expensive as well - as an example, 25 AU servers (1 node) cost roughly same as 125-150 US servers (5-6 nodes).

You state above that regardless of cost, "all my arguments are completely valid". Whether or not this is true, the cost is one factor limiting us. While not the main factor, we'd rather not put that much money into the type of service that we've been getting from our current Australian datacenter recently, so as I said, we're looking for a better one before we invest in more AU servers.
How bout the Au cubedHost? Same price according to the website.

Ava

Administrator
Reaction score
How bout the Au cubedHost? Same price according to the website.
We host through the same parent company CubedHost hosts their Australian servers in; as an employee of CubedHost as well, I can state that it is in fact the datacenter having issues, not us.

gianteye123

Diamond
Reaction score
We host through the same parent company CubedHost hosts their Australian servers in; as an employee of CubedHost as well, I can state that it is in fact the datacenter having issues, not us.
Thanks for clearing that up :)

Ava

Administrator
Reaction score
Adding on one thing I forgot in my original reply - although each AU server costs roughly the same price as a US server, we tend to go over on our bandwidth allocation by about 5 or 6 times as much, which is what really hits hard with the cost.

Gustav Mahikano

Diamond
Reaction score
Sorry Nick, you're a friend, but as an Australian player I can't say I want more servers. During this term of school the servers were really inactive and at 12:00AM it's almost impossible to get into a game. Having more servers isn't exactly going to help that problem; it's going to do the exact opposite. Alongside that, Australian servers are hella expensive and wasting a lot of money on something that'll only make the servers worse isn't what I consider a good decision. Ever since the hub came out the actual lobbies/servers themselves in Australia have been a lot less active. People just get too excited at the thought of having more servers even though it really isn't a good thing at the current time for Au.

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Sorry Nick, you're a friend, but as an Australian player I can't say I want more servers. During this term of school the servers were really inactive and at 12:00AM it's almost impossible to get into a game. Having more servers isn't exactly going to help that problem; it's going to do the exact opposite. Alongside that, Australian servers are hella expensive and wasting a lot of money on something that'll only make the servers worse isn't what I consider a good decision. Ever since the hub came out the actual lobbies/servers themselves in Australia have been a lot less active. People just get too excited at the thought of having more servers even though it really isn't a good thing at the current time for Au.
How does more AU servers make it worse to get into a game..? >.> I don't exactly get your logic there.

With the upcoming of the NBN in more areas better AU server hosts will probably be easier to find, may I point this server host to you? http://www.ausfrag.com/ May be helpful if you ever do decide to invest into more AU servers.

Gustav Mahikano

Diamond
Reaction score
How does more AU servers make it worse to get into a game..? >.> I don't exactly get your logic there.

With the upcoming of the NBN in more areas better AU server hosts will probably be easier to find, may I point this server host to you? http://www.ausfrag.com/ May be helpful if you ever do decide to invest into more AU servers.
My logic is that the servers are already empty enough. By creating more servers the emptiness is just spread around more. That refers to my point earlier - people get too excited at the thought of having more servers without thinking it through properly :p

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
My logic is that the servers are already empty enough. By creating more servers the emptiness is just spread around more. That refers to my point earlier - people get too excited at the thought of having more servers without thinking it through properly :p
I disagree, on the weekends the servers are fairly packed. You can't disagree with that, games always fill to the max. With the upcoming holidays in Australia MCSG will be more popular and used, believe me I've thought this through.

Gustav Mahikano

Diamond
Reaction score
I disagree, on the weekends the servers are fairly packed. You can't disagree with that, games always fill to the max. With the upcoming holidays in Australia MCSG will be more popular and used, believe me I've thought this through.
They don't... lol. If you see the server activity in Au compared to other servers you can tell, and about 2/3 of the servers fill during afterschool times and such. Everyone's on the holidays now and the server activity has increased but it'll drop in 2 weeks guaranteed.

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
They don't... lol. If you see the server activity in Au compared to other servers you can tell, and about 2/3 of the servers fill during afterschool times and such. Everyone's on the holidays now and the server activity has increased but it'll drop in 2 weeks guaranteed.
2/3? You've been playing to much LoL. :p (Speaking of that, play sometime today? :p)

AU servers:

EU servers:

Now surely it wouldn't hurt to take a bit out of those EU servers and put it into a region where it's actually used hey..? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci