• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Random Chest Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Soy_Man

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Survival Games has become a game where new players get owned by experienced players.

Why?

Because the experienced ones know where the chests are. The game isn't about "finding" chests anymore; it's about going to the chests you know are there. Players shouldn't instantly know how to easily find 14 chests in a row. The chests should be semi-randomized so that the game is more about who finds the chests instead of who gets to the chests first.

Now, there probably won't be a way to get something like this into the plugin. It seems like a difficult thing to do. But, there is already something in the plugin that would let us do this. The map randomization. Instead of having the plugin randomly place chests, we can make several different versions of the same map with chests in different locations and have them be randomly selected. This way, not everybody will know a specific way to get a load of chests, because they won't know what version they are playing!

I know not everybody will want this to be put through, and I understand why. But, if this makes the game more equal for everyone, then I think it should be added.

Kanachi

Tribute
Reaction score
Survival Games has become a game where new players get owned by experienced players.

Why?

Because the experienced ones know where the chests are. The game isn't about "finding" chests anymore; it's about going to the chests you know are there. Players shouldn't instantly know how to easily find 14 chests in a row. The chests should be semi-randomized so that the game is more about who finds the chests instead of who gets to the chests first.

Now, there probably won't be a way to get something like this into the plugin. It seems like a difficult thing to do. But, there is already something in the plugin that would let us do this. The map randomization. Instead of having the plugin randomly place chests, we can make several different versions of the same map with chests in different locations and have them be randomly selected. This way, not everybody will know a specific way to get a load of chests, because they won't know what version they are playing!

I know not everybody will want this to be put through, and I understand why. But, if this makes the game more equal for everyone, then I think it should be added.

Done wisely and with care I would totally agree with this. I think you would probably find that people would soon realise which "version" of the map they were dealing with and adjust to match that map as quickly as they found out. However it would help in the opening few seconds/minutes.

Another big element is controlling the random content of chests.

Krasso

Survivor
Reaction score
How is this a bad thing? You're basically complaining about the fact that this game takes skill to be good at. What motivation would one have to play on these servers, if there's no reason/possibility of actually improving in skill over the course of playing?

What good, competitive game does actually not require skill and experience to win? As far as i can tell; none.

Play more, get better, and you'll realize it's actually great fun. Of course it's harder in the beginning, but that's how it should be.

The_Soy_Man

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
How is this a bad thing? You're basically complaining about the fact that this game takes skill to be good at. What motivation would one have to play on these servers, if there's no reason/possibility of actually improving in skill over the course of playing?

What good, competitive game does actually not require skill and experience to win? As far as i can tell; none.

Play more, get better, and you'll realize it's actually great fun. Of course it's harder in the beginning, but that's how it should be.
You should improve over a course of playing the game. My point was that an experienced player knew where the chests were. This may be no big deal to you, but a new player would have no clear where any chests were period. I was saying that if the chests were semi-randomly placed, a new player would be just as likely to find chests as a more experienced player.

P.S. Don't talk to me like I have no clue how this game is played. If been playing this for quite some time.

Ber Ric

Spectator
Reaction score
Many topics already have been posted on that subject in the forums.
And reactions are always splitted, almost 50/50.

But I agree.

Knowing where the chests are is not skill to be good at. Its just memory, and it does not mean in any way that you're better than the others.
If you would always have the exact same output from any of your actions in another game, you'd just insult the game maker because it has no fun. The fact you can ruin other players just because you have played longer than them and memorized all the chests locations does not make you a better player than them, you just played longer, that's it.

Randomization is what's make the game fun. In another post my suggestion was to have chests randomly chosen at the map start to be filled, when others are left empty. This could remove the need of multiple maps and the face that players could "know" one way of another on which map they.
So players would always have chests, but sometimes they would be empty, forcing them to go check the others.
And this could also help to give some parts of the maps that are currently deserted a little more attract : with 2x more chests, but 2x less filled chests, you could put new chests in areas that are currently void of any interest (skycraper part in the 2nd map for example), making a potential target for players, instead of them always running to the same ones (boat, pink-floored house, power plant).

jamminjax

Spectator
Reaction score
Well, here's the thing. That would be great. Except, there would be a bigger populatio of hackers that win, because they'd use chest finder or x ray. I do think that would work out pretty well though. I get accused of hacking sometimes because the people who have a score of 100 of less say I know where all the chests are because I hack. No, I actually just know where they are. At the begginning of each round in the city map, at least 3 players run to the pink carpet house, with the basement which contains 3 chests. Or, most players go to the boat in the original map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci