• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Random Chest Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Soy_Man

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
For me the great thing about the servers/maps is that there are a fine balance between bouth skill and luck.
I thank you for your thoughts on the subject, but I want to try to convince you of my point of view. You say that the game is a balance of luck and skill, and the game would be changed if the chests were randomly placed. I have noted the reasons you like this game as I share many of them.
You say that the game is a balance of skill and luck. Well, the luck of the game lies in what you get in the chests. From what I have been saying from the beginning, that fine balance of skill and luck is very UNbalanced.

Experienced players get to more of the chests because they know where they are. This leads to them getting more items than a player who just started. If this game was truly about luck, no player should know where the chests are. A finely balanced game would have every player on the same boat, fighting for survival. If you want items, you need to search for the chests.

The chests should be randomized so no player has that advantage over others. Every player needs to hunt for chests, get items, and kill their enemies.

I know I cannot make you change your mind, but I'd thought I'd do my best to get you to see how I feel.

Olekriz

Spectator
Reaction score
I thank you for your thoughts on the subject, but I want to try to convince you of my point of view. You say that the game is a balance of luck and skill, and the game would be changed if the chests were randomly placed. I have noted the reasons you like this game as I share many of them.
You say that the game is a balance of skill and luck. Well, the luck of the game lies in what you get in the chests. From what I have been saying from the beginning, that fine balance of skill and luck is very UNbalanced.

Experienced players get to more of the chests because they know where they are. This leads to them getting more items than a player who just started. If this game was truly about luck, no player should know where the chests are. A finely balanced game would have every player on the same boat, fighting for survival. If you want items, you need to search for the chests.

The chests should be randomized so no player has that advantage over others. Every player needs to hunt for chests, get items, and kill their enemies.

I know I cannot make you change your mind, but I'd thought I'd do my best to get you to see how I feel.
I get what your saying, and im convinced that it would have been a fun way to play, but only for a limited time... It would have been to random for my taste. First it would almost random if i found any chests at all, then it would be random what was in thoose chests, and the matchest would also last longer since people are running around the map searching for chests.

And i dont think I would find it fun getting taken down by players that have stumbeled over more chests that me during the game and gotten better gear because of luck.

And finaly, if you dont like that some of us prepared ourself, why dont you try it ourself? Download the map into your single player maps and just start laing out a route for the next map... If you cant beat us, join us :p

The_Soy_Man

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I get what your saying, and im convinced that it would have been a fun way to play, but only for a limited time... It would have been to random for my taste. First it would almost random if i found any chests at all, then it would be random what was in thoose chests, and the matchest would also last longer since people are running around the map searching for chests.

And i dont think I would find it fun getting taken down by players that have stumbeled over more chests that me during the game and gotten better gear because of luck.

And finaly, if you dont like that some of us prepared ourself, why dont you try it ourself? Download the map into your single player maps and just start laing out a route for the next map... If you cant beat us, join us :p
Haha. Okay man, I see where you're coming from. I still think a more balanced game would need to include chests, but everyone is entitled to their opinion

Michael Clarke

Spectator
Reaction score
Survival Games has become a game where new players get owned by experienced players.

Why?

Because the experienced ones know where the chests are. The game isn't about "finding" chests anymore; it's about going to the chests you know are there. Players shouldn't instantly know how to easily find 14 chests in a row. The chests should be semi-randomized so that the game is more about who finds the chests instead of who gets to the chests first.

Now, there probably won't be a way to get something like this into the plugin. It seems like a difficult thing to do. But, there is already something in the plugin that would let us do this. The map randomization. Instead of having the plugin randomly place chests, we can make several different versions of the same map with chests in different locations and have them be randomly selected. This way, not everybody will know a specific way to get a load of chests, because they won't know what version they are playing!

I know not everybody will want this to be put through, and I understand why. But, if this makes the game more equal for everyone, then I think it should be added.

I recently started playing the survival games maps, and yes I got dominated by people who somehow don't win the centre but end up with full armour and diamond swords and food.
In the current climate, the only thing I can do is match them by looking up where the chests are because that's the only way to actually remain competitive. I thought of this myself, have say 10 maps all identical but with different chest locations, if it were only 2 or 3 people could twig which map it is quite quickly but with say 9 or 10 it would be too difficult.

A side note to this, I would like to see "more" chests in the current maps, many many buildings and things that could easily have chests in contain nothing, I searched about 4 multi storey buldings and found only one chest. Doesn't have to be good loot in them, just having the credit of finding them is good. And less stuff at mid, those who win mid (usually premade teams of 4 or 5) always have an iron grip over everyone else. Less reward at mid, more reward elsewhere to balance out the reward for people who take any path.

Sorry it's quite rambly, but this has irritated me finding virtually no chests in wide swathes of landscape (both map 1 and 2).

The_Soy_Man

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I recently started playing the survival games maps, and yes I got dominated by people who somehow don't win the centre but end up with full armour and diamond swords and food.
In the current climate, the only thing I can do is match them by looking up where the chests are because that's the only way to actually remain competitive. I thought of this myself, have say 10 maps all identical but with different chest locations, if it were only 2 or 3 people could twig which map it is quite quickly but with say 9 or 10 it would be too difficult.

A side note to this, I would like to see "more" chests in the current maps, many many buildings and things that could easily have chests in contain nothing, I searched about 4 multi storey buldings and found only one chest. Doesn't have to be good loot in them, just having the credit of finding them is good. And less stuff at mid, those who win mid (usually premade teams of 4 or 5) always have an iron grip over everyone else. Less reward at mid, more reward elsewhere to balance out the reward for people who take any path.

Sorry it's quite rambly, but this has irritated me finding virtually no chests in wide swathes of landscape (both map 1 and 2).
Pro tip, the climbing the buildings is never worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci