• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Struggles Of Swimming

M

MattGlowstone

Just adding on to my post, when I visit America in June, I look forward to the family I will be staying with taking me swimming, as its a great sport To do, but you shouldn't be pressurised like that.

xX_CraftyCrafter03_Xx

Experienced
Reaction score
This thread is making me scared of swimming....

And AGFire2013 makes me scared of rowing....
^

Just adding on to my post, when I visit America in June, I look forward to the family I will be staying with taking me swimming, as its a great sport To do, but you shouldn't be pressurised like that.
No, it's just that when we want to makes goal, my coach pushes me. He loves all of us. :3

Last edited by a moderator:

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I'm upset when people argue that they have more things to deal with and that they have a harder life than others. We should all be happy for what we have to do, not arguing about who has a worse life than others. Sure there are some ups and downs, but I'd be happy to wake up at 6:30 in the morning for a basketball practice. Also, we may be misunderstanding or exaggerating what our coaches tell us and try to make them look like villains, but they do what's best for both ourselves and our team.

Instead of talking about how much pain we go through with this, why don't we talk about all the great things we gain. I mean I've started to get a better shot in basketball than I already had through hours of practice, discipline from coaches, and self-motivation. Why don't we just talk about the goods rather than the bads, and feel accomplished when we try to prove our life is harder than the next person?

xX_CraftyCrafter03_Xx

Experienced
Reaction score
I'm upset when people argue that they have more things to deal with and that they have a harder life than others. We should all be happy for what we have to do, not arguing about who has a worse life than others. Sure there are some ups and downs, but I'd be happy to wake up at 6:30 in the morning for a basketball practice. Also, we may be misunderstanding or exaggerating what our coaches tell us and try to make them look like villains, but they do what's best for both ourselves and our team.

Instead of talking about how much pain we go through with this, why don't we talk about all the great things we gain. I mean I've started to get a better shot in basketball than I already had through hours of practice, discipline from coaches, and self-motivation. Why don't we just talk about the goods rather than the bads, and feel accomplished when we try to prove our life is harder than the next person?
I'm not trying to prove anything. I just posted a thread about this becuause I get annoyed when people say swimming is a wimp sport. I love swimming, and would never leave it. But I get where your coming from.

xoxo

Reaction score
Sure, people say that the act of Swimming or Rowing both suck.
But I can say a thing or two about the Struggles of Drowning...
No competitive swimmer has the fear of drowning.

Here is why:

1. Most competitive swimmers can tread for at least an hours above the water without using their hands.
(Not BS, During the swim unit for my class I had to teach treading and I treaded for the full one hour and wasn't tired at the end of it. )

2. We do multiple exercises using a foam thing that goes between your legs called a Pull Buoy. This prevents us from using our legs and we paddle through the water at fairly fast rates.

3. We also use foam boards called kickboards and we hold them out infront and we keep kicking.

I'm pretty sure anyone who has been in competitive swimming for at least 6 months can stay above water for a while without using 2 of their limbs, maybe even three.

However for rowing, it's a different story ;)

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score

Here is why:

1. Most competitive swimmers can tread for at least an hours above the water without using their hands.
(Not BS, During the swim unit for my class I had to teach treading and I treaded for the full one hour and wasn't tired at the end of it. )

2. We do multiple exercises using a foam thing that goes between your legs called a Pull Buoy. This prevents us from using our legs and we paddle through the water at fairly fast rates.

3. We also use foam boards called kickboards and we hold them out infront and we keep kicking.

I'm pretty sure anyone who has been in competitive swimming for at least 6 months can stay above water for a while without using 2 of their limbs, maybe even three.

I am pretty sure he was trying to say that he drowns instead of swims. Not that competitive swimmers have to deal with that problem.

Rhino1928

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
My turn :p
1. Getting up early in the morning for rowing practice.
2. Making sure every single stroke is perfect.
3. Pulling your absolute hardest every. Single. Stroke.
4. Pulling even harder than that on a power 10.
5. The pain in my limbs as you finish a race or a stroke piece.
6. Erging (rowing machine).
7. Almost dislocating your shoulder everytime you catch a current the wrong way with your oar.
8. Getting cramps in your arms, legs, everywhere and still having to continue a race with 1000m left without falling out of rhythm with the other rowers.
9. Not being able to breathe, taste, smell or even see by the end of a race. Because of the strain, your brain eliminates your senses so it can pump more blood to your muscles.
10. Blisters and "Swiss cheese" hands.
11. Doing a 2000m erg piece, rowing as fast and hard as you can the whole way through and never stopping despite the pain.
12. Throwing up after a 2000m erg piece.
13. Having a coxswain yell at your face.
14. "Ohhhh you mean rowing like kayaking????"
15. Barely being able to stand after a rowing practice.
16. The pressure and stress of a race (though I find this is one of the best parts of rowing)
17. Adjusting to the unusual anatomy of breathing in rowing - rowers usually breathe 2 times in a stroke, and we breathe around 3 times the regular amount.
18. Getting attacked by an orca or sealions during rowing practice Rhino1928
19. Going out in a single during low tide and literally beaching yourself (been there done that)
20. Having so, so many people underestimate your sport saying that "going out for a jog" or fishing is harder than rowing. I've seen that on online lists of hardest sports before and it drives me crazy
(Continued)
21. When you're rowing at 100%, you still have to be faster and stronger. It's never enough.
22. Your ankles hurt after practice because of how you slam your heels when pushing against the oar.
23. You're never satisfied with your work. Always improve.
24. When it's cold, you row. When's it's raining you row. The only time where you don't row is when the water's too rough, in which case you erg, run or work out. There's never a way out of practicing.
25. You can't wear gloves to protect the skin on your hands. You will literally be shunned for wearing gloves.
26. If you injure yourself in the middle of a race, you keep going. I have a friend who won a race with a torn Achilles and a torn ACL plus an injured shoulder. I know someone else who got a time that would have made him national champion had he been competing. He had a broken hand.
27. You can never stop, whether you're injured, tired, cramping, hurting or demotivated.
28. You never let your teammates down.
29. You have a distance of 2000m. You row as fast as you can the whole way through, and it's a distance where you have to sprint the whole way through.
30. You never give up.
sealions are friendly, what rong with u

xX_CraftyCrafter03_Xx

Experienced
Reaction score

Here is why:

I had to use my snorkel today. :p

TheRealAussie

District 13
Reaction score

Here is why:

As a competitive swimmer (and water polo player), I can confirm that I can tread water without my hands.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci