• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Suicide + Depression Awareness

Sarchikani

Platinum
Reaction score
The thing I want to stress is that you have no idea about anyone other than yourself. You have no clue how your actions will affect anyone else. What may seem harmless can actually be something devastating to someone else. People in general, but specifically people on this server have no clue how big an impact they have on others. A simple message like rekt can be enough to cause someone who was already having a bad day to do something they will regret. Think before you post or say anything.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity that can affect a person's thoughts, behavior, feelings and sense of well-being. Depressed people can feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, helpless, worthless, guilty, irritable or restless. They may lose interest in activities that were once pleasurable, experience loss of appetite or overeating, have problems concentrating, remembering details or making decisions, and may contemplate, attempt or commit suicide. Insomnia, excessive sleeping, fatigue, aches, pains, digestive problems or reduced energy may also be present.

Depression is a feature of some psychiatric syndromes such as major depressive disorder but it may also be a normal reaction to certain life events, a symptom of some bodily ailments or a side effect of some drugs and medical treatments.

The good news is that with the right treatment and support, most people can make a full recovery. If you are feeling depressed, it is imperative that you seek the help of your local doctor. Failing that, this thread is here to provide you with resources that you can use in times of hardship or crisis.

❤ Services By Area
Click on your location (if available) to get an accurate translation and where the services are located in your chosen area (some countries, e.g. France might not have any information yet).

(Credit to Fibunny and to whoever contributed with the translations (link to website). I did not ask for permission to share this; don't see any problem as this is meant to help those in need).

Toast

District 13
Reaction score
Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity that can affect a person's thoughts, behavior, feelings and sense of well-being. Depressed people can feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, helpless, worthless, guilty, irritable or restless. They may lose interest in activities that were once pleasurable, experience loss of appetite or overeating, have problems concentrating, remembering details or making decisions, and may contemplate, attempt or commit suicide. Insomnia, excessive sleeping, fatigue, aches, pains, digestive problems or reduced energy may also be present.

Depression is a feature of some psychiatric syndromes such as major depressive disorder but it may also be a normal reaction to certain life events, a symptom of some bodily ailments or a side effect of some drugs and medical treatments.

The good news is that with the right treatment and support, most people can make a full recovery. If you are feeling depressed, it is imperative that you seek the help of your local doctor. Failing that, this thread is here to provide you with resources that you can use in times of hardship or crisis.

❤ Services By Area
Click on your location (if available) to get an accurate translation and where the services are located in your chosen area (some countries, e.g. France might not have any information yet).

(Credit to Fibunny and to whoever contributed with the translations (link to website). I did not ask for permission to share this; don't see any problem as this is meant to help those in need).
Though I thank you for providing the scientific view of the disorder, it doesn't explain the human side.

You can spend your life researching cancer, learning the ins and outs of the diseases that fall under the name of cancer. But, what your studies will not tell you is what it will do to you. You must be in the situation yourself to understand what it feels like and how it affects the human psyche. The same can be said about depression.

Depression as a disorder is still widely mysterious in its causes, but those who's life has been shaped by it know the most.

S

Sepyz

Here are my views on depression:
I've been depressed for roughly the past year of my life. I've attempted suicide several times, but it's honestly much harder than it seems. In the moment when you're about to end your life, you catch yourself and realize what you're doing and how it will affect others.

Suicide, however, is most certainly not selfish. A suicidal person does not consciously think about how they will hurt others. Many suicidal people, actually, believe that nobody will care. They simply believe that there is no way out of the endless pit of sadness they've been engulfed in, and so they decide to end the suffering.

As for depression in a whole, I can describe it fairly well with a simple analogy my (now deceased) friend told me while we were walking along a beach last year: "Imagine being stuck in the middle of that lake. Everything is fine, you're still afloat, and you can see the sky and the clouds perfectly clear. You can hear birds chirping, and everything is perfect. Suddenly, something pulls you under the water. At the point, you can still see the light from above and you can vaguely see the beauty of nature, but it's slightly obstructed by the murky water above you. As the force pulls you further down, you can see less of the light. You begin to realize that there is a problem. You try to swim back up, but the force keeps pulling you down. Eventually, you can barely see any light at all. You realize that all attempts to save yourself are hopeless. You begin to realize that there is no escape, and you begin to lose an image of the beauty of life. Finally the light is gone. You decide that living like this with no escape is pointless, and you end it." (Sorry for the long quote.)

After my friend had killed himself, I thought about what he had told me many times. I eventually realized, when I experienced similar issues, that there is a way to see the light once more. Although you may be deep underwater, you can still imagine being happy above water. Find things that you enjoy and stick to them. Someone will notice the state you're in and they will rescue you. There is always an end to depression, but it is never permanent.

Both of my parents had been diagnosed with severe depression, and they had also been in my same situation with similar frames of mind. They still, to this day, take quite a bit of medication for it, but there was a happy ending for them. Both of my parents are extremely happy with their lives, which is a miracle compared to what they used to be. After I told them my situation, they assigned an appointment for me to visit a counselor. Although depressed people occasionally like to bottle up and not tell anyone, there's also a little voice in their head telling themselves to spread the word.

I remember roughly a year ago when my girlfriend was severely depressed. As much as I hated to admit it, I thought she was doing it for attention. I figured that depression was an excuse for being carried through rough situations throughout life, and I frowned upon it. It wasn't until it hit me when I realize what she was going through. I realized that there was an urge to talk about it with others as well, no matter how much I didn't want to. It's an endless cycle of misunderstanding.

I've also witnessed death on two occasions. One was suicide, and the other was a murder. As for the suicide, I noticed a certain look of regret on the boy's face when he pulled the trigger. I realized that in his last moments, he had regretted his decision. The other death I witnessed is unimportant for this topic, but it did get me thinking quite negatively, and in a darker fashion.

People who are depressed see no hope for themselves in the future. They see no point in doing well in school, because they know they will only lead to failure. They do poorly in their work because they assume that their effort will get them nowhere. They kill themselves because they assume it will make everyone else happy. What these people don't realize is that they are wrong. No matter who you are or what you have done, you are worth it. I guarantee that there is one person who would never forgive themselves if you committed suicide. One person who might take their life as well. One person who would cry every night for the next year because of what you've done.

Although you may not see it this way, people care about you. People want you 5 experience new things throughout your life, and you're unable to do that being dead. A suggestion for suicidal people is to set a goal for yourself in the future. Whatever that goal is, work to accomplish it, and let nothing get in your way. Especially not suicide.

You've got this. Go live life.

Sorry. I just felt like I needed to post this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toast

District 13
Reaction score
Here are my views on depression:
I've been depressed for roughly the past year of my life. I've attempted suicide several times, but it's honestly much harder than it seems. In the moment when you're about to end your life, you catch yourself and realize what you're doing and how it will affect others.

Suicide, however, is most certainly not selfish. A suicidal person does not consciously think about how they will hurt others. Many suicidal people, actually, believe that nobody will care. They simply believe that there is no way out of the endless pit of sadness they've been engulfed in, and so they decide to end the suffering.

As for depression in a whole, I can describe it fairly well with a simple analogy my (now deceased) friend told me while we were walking along a beach last year: "Imagine being stuck in the middle of that lake. Everything is fine, you're still afloat, and you can see the sky and the clouds perfectly clear. You can hear birds chirping, and everything is perfect. Suddenly, something pulls you under the water. At the point, you can still see the light from above and you can vaguely see the beauty of nature, but it's slightly obstructed by the murky water above you. As the force pulls you further down, you can see less of the light. You begin to realize that there is a problem. You try to swim back up, but the force keeps pulling you down. Eventually, you can barely see any light at all. You realize that all attempts to save yourself are hopeless. You begin to realize that there is no escape, and you begin to lose an image of the beauty of life. Finally the light is gone. You decide that living like this with no escape is pointless, and you end it." (Sorry for the long quote.)

After my friend had killed himself, I thought about what he had told me many times. I eventually realized, when I experienced similar issues, that there is a way to see the light once more. Although you may be deep underwater, you can still imagine being happy above water. Find things that you enjoy and stick to them. Someone will notice the state you're in and they will rescue you. There is always an end to depression, but it is never permanent.

Both of my parents had been diagnosed with severe depression, and they had also been in my same situation with similar frames of mind. They still, to this day, take quite a bit of medication for it, but there was a happy ending for them. Both of my parents are extremely happy with their lives, which is a miracle compared to what they used to be. After I told them my situation, they assigned an appointment for me to visit a counselor. Although depressed people occasionally like to bottle up and not tell anyone, there's also a little voice in their head telling themselves to spread the word.

I remember roughly a year ago when my girlfriend was severely depressed. As much as I hated to admit it, I thought she was doing it for attention. I figured that depression was an excuse for being carried through rough situations throughout life, and I frowned upon it. It wasn't until it hit me when I realize what she was going through. I realized that there was an urge to talk about it with others as well, no matter how much I didn't want to. It's an endless cycle of misunderstanding.

I've also witnessed death on two occasions. One was suicide, and the other was a murder. As for the suicide, I noticed a certain look of regret on the boy's face when he pulled the trigger. I realized that in his last moments, he had regretted his decision. The other death I witnessed is unimportant for this topic, but it did get me thinking quite negatively, and in a darker fashion.

People who are depressed see no hope for themselves in the future. They see no point in doing well in school, because they know they will only lead to failure. They do poorly in their work because they assume that their effort will get them nowhere. They kill themselves because they assume it will make everyone else happy. What these people don't realize is that they are wrong. No matter who you are or what you have done, you are worth it. I guarantee that there is one person who would never forgive themselves if you committed suicide. One person who might take their life as well. One person who would cry every night for the next year because of what you've done.

Although you may not see it this way, people care about you. People want you 5 experience new things throughout your life, and you're unable to do that being dead. A suggestion for suicidal people is to set a goal for yourself in the future. Whatever that goal is, work to accomplish it, and let nothing get in your way. Especially not suicide.

You've got this. Go live life.

Sorry. I just felt like I needed to post this.
Thank you for sharing, and I am sorry for your losses.

The description provided by your friend is spot on, as well as your description of how the light can be found once again. While I don't necessarily agree that the light can be seen in it's entirety ever again, as depression never leaves you, it shapes you, I do agree that finding at least some of it is possible. I have attempted/came close to attempting suicide 5 times in my life (my parents only know of 2, and I aim to keep it that way), 3 of those in 2014 alone, but I haven't attempted since May, because I found that one spec of light.

My light was very personal. I met a girl when I was hospitalized in May. My age, really nice, went by the name of Ryan. 8 days into my 20 day stay (technically I was already out, just going to an outpatient group program), Ryan came out as a transgender male. Didn't know what that was, as it was never something my parents saw fit to informing their child of, as they are over-protecting and sheltering. Every day for the rest of my stay, he explained what it was like for him to go through gender dysphoria (probably butchered the spelling), and every word he uttered described every internal struggle of my life, just with the roles flipped. The more he explained, the more I looked back on those struggles, drawing parallels through what I saw myself as to what he saw himself as. After I left, I began thinking about my own situation with the knowledge I had gained from that experience. I did so to the point where I began questioning my core values and identity, poking at them, trying to figure out what makes them "tick". By Late August, nearly 4 months since I started thinking about my own identity, I came to the realization that I myself was trans female. Don't ask me how, because I can't even put it into words. From then on out, it was my duty in life to figure out how to rise towards my goal.

For just a short moment... I wanted to live...

Find that light, it's there somewhere. The murky waters will always blind you from seeing the world the same way again, but if you can just catch that one glimpse of light... you'll find the hope you need to move forward.

Waffless_

Platinum
Reaction score
I know someone, RodCombo or @MagicCarpet, who is commuting suicide, he said life was hard and I tried to cheer him up :( I hope it's not too late :-; People, suiciding is permanent, please don't do it! People love you and you ar the meaning of someone, your friends are always there, stand up and believe that you shouldn't be depressed, bullied or abused, ignore what(s) happened and have a great life! You only have 1! Please RodCombo, don't suicide on me! I will always be there for you mate! We play on AU servers a lot and meet eachother on games! Please if it's not too late <3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci