• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Teaming is unfair and anti-competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_love_desk

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It's not like there aren't scandals already. Determining if someone is teaming when they should be a lot easier than determining if someone is using clickaimbot- just look at how long they took to ban Austin_HackerGames. The line for teaming would have to be drawn at not attacking or running from another player while near them, which wouldn't be at all hard to prove imo.
That's looking at it the wrong way. It's people getting controversially banned, not controversially staying unbanned for ages. It's like people like Binct (whom I know nothing about aside from the fact that there was some unfortunate evidence which made it look like he was using forcefield). It would be insanely difficult to a) prove that people were teaming and b) prove that they weren't, it's all so wishy-washy.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I don't see how it's a recycled idea when I've clearly brought new concepts of how to make teaming servers work to the table.
I say screw the original concept of the hunger games. The only risk of teaming if you're in call with your teammates (which most are nowadays) is losing to them in deathmatch. And I don't see how it's a 'petty restritcion'- it's something intended to liberate the solo player, without compromising those who want to team.

It's worth a try imo. Obviously I wouldn't want it to be suddenly introduced and 'classic' servers scratched, but rather be introduced for beta testing to see how players react to it, and then, if all goes well, have it replace the normal servers.

It's not like there aren't scandals already. Determining if someone is teaming when they should be a lot easier than determining if someone is using clickaimbot- just look at how long they took to ban Austin_HackerGames. The line for teaming would have to be drawn at not attacking or running from another player while near them, which wouldn't be at all hard to prove imo.
But what if 2 players were low and avoided confrontation, and what if teamed players faked fights and got a distinct advantage over everyone else? How do you tell? I would be pissed if I got unfairly banned for teaming. People already whine enough about hacks, we don't need teaming as a complaint more than it already is.

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
But what if 2 players were low and avoided confrontation, and what if teamed players faked fights and got a distinct advantage over everyone else? How do you tell? I would be pissed if I got unfairly banned for teaming. People already whine enough about hacks, we don't need teaming as a complaint more than it already is.
If players avoid each other, then its clearly not teaming, is it? You'd only be punished for teaming if you were blatantly choosing not to attack someone you ought to be- i.e. someone right next to you.
Ro0d
That's looking at it the wrong way. It's people getting controversially banned, not controversially staying unbanned for ages. It's like people like Binct (whom I know nothing about aside from the fact that there was some unfortunate evidence which made it look like he was using forcefield). It would be insanely difficult to a) prove that people were teaming and b) prove that they weren't, it's all so wishy-washy.
I'm not looking at it the wrong way at all. My Austin_HG example was me arguing that in some cases hacks are a lot harder to prove/disprove than whether two players are teaming or not. And do you mind not making unsupported claims like 'it would be insanely difficult...'?

I_love_desk

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
If players avoid each other, then its clearly not teaming, is it? You'd only be punished for teaming if you were blatantly choosing not to attack someone you ought to be- i.e. someone right next to you.
On your first point, where is the difference between that and teaming? If someone were banned for teaming then they could just immediately use that point. Or if I were teamed I could pincer movement a player with my teammate before both suddenly running off, thus avoiding each other, pretending not to be teamed, but really teaming. I could also just happen to not burn the full iron I just got, and someone could miraculously find it 30 seconds later. The possibilities are endless, there would have to be an entire rulebook on what constitutes teaming and what doesn't. Added to that, there's the manpower taken to decipher whether someone is teaming or not. Mods have enough of a problem trying to ban hackers, let alone petty disputes about "look, this guy hit me twice more than he hit that guy! they were teaming!!1" It's just not enforceable.

I'm not looking at it the wrong way at all. My Austin_HG example was me arguing that in some cases hacks are a lot harder to prove/disprove than whether two players are teaming or not. And do you mind not making unsupported claims like 'it would be insanely difficult...'?
Oh yeah, cos Austin was sooo hard to prove, wasn't it ;) it was pretty clear to about 90% of EU that he was hacking, he was just friends with a ton of mods and had a few people behind him berating anyone that called him a hacker and saying he was bad. And on the unsupported claim thing, there were some situations above, such as the pincer movement one, where it would be insanely difficult to tell whether someone was teaming. Hacks are much easier to prove than teaming, not least because hackers tend to do unexplainable stuff such as Austins headsnaps, whereas there are a ton of situations in which teamers could explain that "I didn't see him" or "I was just aiming for the other guy cos I thought he was a threat" etc. etc. etc.

Basically, teaming is very hard to prove, very hard also to disprove, and very difficult to enforce, as well as there being very few solutions, all of which are quite obviously limited. As such it would waste staff's time, cause unfair bans, and most likely cause A LOT of flame and hate.

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
On your first point, where is the difference between that and teaming? If someone were banned for teaming then they could just immediately use that point. Or if I were teamed I could pincer movement a player with my teammate before both suddenly running off, thus avoiding each other, pretending not to be teamed, but really teaming. I could also just happen to not burn the full iron I just got, and someone could miraculously find it 30 seconds later. The possibilities are endless, there would have to be an entire rulebook on what constitutes teaming and what doesn't. Added to that, there's the manpower taken to decipher whether someone is teaming or not. Mods have enough of a problem trying to ban hackers, let alone petty disputes about "look, this guy hit me twice more than he hit that guy! they were teaming!!1" It's just not enforceable.

Oh yeah, cos Austin was sooo hard to prove, wasn't it ;) it was pretty clear to about 90% of EU that he was hacking, he was just friends with a ton of mods and had a few people behind him berating anyone that called him a hacker and saying he was bad. And on the unsupported claim thing, there were some situations above, such as the pincer movement one, where it would be insanely difficult to tell whether someone was teaming. Hacks are much easier to prove than teaming, not least because hackers tend to do unexplainable stuff such as Austins headsnaps, whereas there are a ton of situations in which teamers could explain that "I didn't see him" or "I was just aiming for the other guy cos I thought he was a threat" etc. etc. etc.

Basically, teaming is very hard to prove, very hard also to disprove, and very difficult to enforce, as well as there being very few solutions, all of which are quite obviously limited. As such it would waste staff's time, cause unfair bans, and most likely cause A LOT of flame and hate.
Now you're making some actual points. Players attacking simultaneously from different sides is definitely a grey area, as is surreptitiously sharing items. You say that there would have to be a whole rulebook on these kind of things, but I don't think there needs to be, as it's genuine teaming that's the problem and makes games 'unwinnable'. Playing tactically, such as prioritising the more threatening player in deathmatch would obviously not count as teaming. Only when players are clearly aware of each other, are within range of attack (melee) and are not doing so would it be classified as teaming. As for sharing loot, this would be undeniably extremely difficult to prove, but that's not a reason not to have the rule in place- we disallow stuff like entity radar, damage indicators and chest finder for obvious reason, but it's almost impossible to know for sure if somebody is using them unless they record themselves.

And yes, Austin was hard to prove. The fact that the entire EU clan community knew he hacked is not relevant- what matters is that it was very hard to get evidence that 100% proved he was hacking because of how well he toggled it- there were always excuses he could give, and only once the evidence mounted up sufficiently could the staff be sure enough to ban him.

Lastly, I don't see how it would cause flame and hate. If anything, having dedicated teaming servers would overall reduce the amount of flame, as people have one less thing to b**ch about.

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
I don't think we can ever eliminate teaming from any type of server. It would be like if the government tried to outlaw alcohol in certain areas of your country. (Which they did, and it failed miserably.) People always find a way to get around the system. The biggest flaw with the system you have suggested is that people will simply team on the solo servers to make things even easier for the team. Why play against teams when you can play against individuals?

That doesn't mean teaming isn't a problem. In the Hunger Games books, there was really only one team. The careers, which included Cato, Glimmer, the pyro boy from district 3, Peeta, and the girl from district 2. Katniss was able to take them out with logic and skill, by dropping a tracker jacker hive on them while they were asleep, by nuking their food supply, and by shooting one of them. (Which only took one shot, not 8 like it does in MCSG)

Too bad in MCSG it is much harder, as there are only four weapons, and none of them are really designed for taking out groups of people, except maybe flint and steel. There are no grenades or portable cannons. Teams are really smart these days, and I mainly see donors teaming rather than noobs. It used to be the other way around. You can't bull rush teams anymore, as many people have fancy gaming keyboards and under 50 ping, and you will not be able to destroy them with a simple strafe anymore. Flint and steel? It is not as effective as people say. People are very good at dodging it these days. The 1.7 sprint also allows people to get massive combos on a runner despite being on fire. Whenever I use flint and steel on teams, I usually get a few hits off and then the individual I have attacked just runs to their two teammates. Now I have a 2v1, but I have only one flint and steel charge left and I am at 5 hearts, getting bow spammed by one while the other is riding my tail. An individual in a team is more likely to have good gear as teams can share resources. Generally speaking, once there is a stacked team of 3 who are all decent, the solo players left in the game are officially doomed to die.

I get really annoyed with teams, but I see no "solo gametype" ever being implemented. The best we can do is encourage people to team less. I teamed for two games yesterday and one person who got a stone sword off of spawn targeted me off spawn. I applaud him for that, because teaming a lot is not cool and it ruins the game. Targeting is also not cool, but if you want to show teams that you are sick of them, you can do that.

As for the individual, you just have to do your best to look at things like a game of chess. Take out teams early, before they become a stacked threat. Try to attack when they are split up. Ask for help from a randy if you see one, but don't officially team with him. Basically, stay ahead of the times.

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I don't think we can ever eliminate teaming from any type of server. It would be like if the government tried to outlaw alcohol in certain areas of your country. (Which they did, and it failed miserably.) People always find a way to get around the system. The biggest flaw with the system you have suggested is that people will simply team on the solo servers to make things even easier for the team. Why play against teams when you can play against individuals?
I completely agree with the reasons you gave as to why teams are so problematic. You said that the game should be treated more like chess to counteract teams, but I honestly do this and I still manage to go on horrible loss streaks to nothing but teams. I am a very tactical player- I win a lot of my games without a great setup and without being particularly good at PvP- but teams are still the single biggest pain in the ass to deal with. This isn't me disagreeing with you, but a testament to how problematic they are.

As for the flaws you talk about, please read the posts I made other than the OP where I've tried to outline how teaming would be classified and the rules enforced.

xExplore

Career
Reaction score
I agree, there are too many teams atm, but admit it, it also gives a nice feeling if you kill a team of 2/3 which contains pretty good players. Then you're just a bit proud of yourself :)
But yeah, I've also been seeing a lot more teams recently :(

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I agree, there are too many teams atm, but admit it, it also gives a nice feeling if you kill a team of 2/3 which contains pretty good players. Then you're just a bit proud of yourself :)
But yeah, I've also been seeing a lot more teams recently :(
You could still get that feeling if you really want to by playing on teaming servers and splitting up from your teammate(s) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci