• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The 1.8 Update - Don't hate it.

Yannick

District 13
Reaction score
I was playing in 1.8 today, and can confirm that they already fixed the 1.8 lag-back when you sprint/fly.
I think they fixed it a while ago.
oh but i think i saw a video of someone playing on 1.8 (recorded yesterday) he died and flew and got lagged back.. idk then.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
oh but i think i saw a video of someone playing on 1.8 (recorded yesterday) he died and flew and got lagged back.. idk then.
Oh, well that's quite odd.
I was playing a few hours ago on Valleyside, and I remember specifically thinking to myself, "Looks like they fixed the NCP for 1.8 flying!" I was spectating for a solid 5+ minutes and moving around quite a lot.

Perhaps it was a very recent fix...? I really don't know.

maskeradeplays

Spectator
Reaction score
I can't play Minecraft on 1.8 without lag spikes. I will get 100 fps and drop to 10 every 10 seconds or so. I know many others with this issue.
I understand there are many new features, but it is shame to see many players such as me, be forced to quit playing, due to the update.

You are right, it won't break the server, but it will lose a small section of it's community.
Same here except, I normally get a solid 60 fps on MCSG with my laptop (its decent, it can raise to 200 fps at times xD) and thdn I'll drop to 1-5 fps so often I just leave, combat log or not. That is why I'm on 1.7, Because it doesn't spike people so often like 1.8 does and it doesn't have even close to all the coding and new items 1.8 added :/

Yannick

District 13
Reaction score
Oh, well that's quite odd.
I was playing a few hours ago on Valleyside, and I remember specifically thinking to myself, "Looks like they fixed the NCP for 1.8 flying!" I was spectating for a solid 5+ minutes and moving around quite a lot.

Perhaps it was a very recent fix...? I really don't know.
maybe, idk! ill try it out tomorrow! :)

maskeradeplays

Spectator
Reaction score
To be honest, I do not think that MCGamer will lose many people at all. We've gotten rid of support for 1.5, 1.6, and now 1.7. In all of those, people were upset and complained; however, our player counts showed little change. After all, MCGamer has logged about 3.1 million people on at some time or another.

Also, adding on: The most popular complaint is that there will be lag. Perhaps the lag is because MCGamer is supporting both 1.7 & 1.8 right now. Once support for 1.7 is dropped, maybe it wont be so bad. I don't know, but please take this into consideration.
Actually, Theres other servers that are only 1.8 based and aren't as large and you would STILL get FPS drops with most computers. Being a smaller server with the same host etc, It really shouldn't cause as much lag as the bigger ones but it actually does cause around the same :/
I think the reason 1.8 might lag so much is all the coding it has, 1.8 has every other version AND quite a few more things added that the coding is a little too much on most computers :/

maskeradeplays

Spectator
Reaction score
Love you Moo always, thank you. There are a ton of reasons that 1.8 is there and updated, because there are a ton of more options and features that help out the developers and admins, it was a good idea and I think people should just accept it, nothing really changed in pvp areas so I don't understand the threads and messages, also I think he helps FPS so if you have terrible computer 1.8 will help you a ton, it increases the RAM so you don't have to close your minecraft every 6 games for FPS lag from your mbs. I like 1.8 and they should keep it!
1.8 really doesn't seem to increase ram at all, Espicially with all the spikes it gives to most general computers, Not to mwntion with ALL thw new stuff it adds there is alot more coding, And that seems to probably be a higher suspicion for why 1.8 spikes so much. Also, Use VBO's doesn't so too much at all for the general computers and laptop players. If lucky it'll actually raise your fps. I tried it and it boosted mine yes, But it still spiked, Use VBO's can boost but its just the spikes, sometimes there not so bad and other times it's too the point they are freezing up :/

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Are those mechanics based off of the version of Minecraft the server is running? For instance, if I played on 1.7.2 on a server running 1.7.10, would the knockback be fixed?
Yes, based off of the server.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Some points:

Hacked Clients - Differing hack clients are essentially offer the same functionality and there are hacked clients for 1.8. Hackers would simply search "Hacked Clients 1.8" and then download one of them.

Barriers - While interesting aesthetically, they offer no more functionality than a glass dome would. Additionally, I doubt the proposed increase performance would offset the lag many users are experiencing.

Performance Lag - Obviously seems to be affecting certain computers, but the issue is obviously prominent if so many users are complaining about it.

New Blocks - Not a game changer; Mojang has implemented new blocks in every large update. I doubt new maps utilizing these blocks would became popular solely for that reason; the community has shown to like gameplay orientated maps rather than visual orientated.

Spectator Mode - You seem unreasonably optimistic. Do you truly believe that this feature will noticeably increase server performance?

Other issues that you didn't address:
-Damage Animation (Makes it difficult to see if you're hitting someone)
-Block Hitting
-Randomly sword stops swinging
-Resource Pack Incompatibilities
-Lag Spikes (in conjunction with overall lower fps)
When the sword randomly stops swinging it has to do with a bug when you look at the ground and then back at the player
Also when you use click macros lel

LieutenantIV

Experienced
Reaction score
I don't hate 1.8 - I hate how it's being pushed on us.

How many players actually use 1.8? If (at least, give or take) 75% of the community does, then that's a great time to do it. Otherwise, you're just heckling everyone to convert to an upgrade they don't necessarily want at that time.

Turtle

Diamond
Reaction score
Grats. You remembered to create a thread. I rarely play Minecraft, but I can adapt easily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci