• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Thinking Thread | Rating the MCSG maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

king_tnerb

Survivor
Reaction score
Alright,

Survival Games 1- 4/10 | It's an okay map but it is a bit too bland.

Survival Games 2-4/10 Ugh, way too big! I hate it when people camp in the tallest part of a 30 floor building. There is also not enough chests for the size.

Survival Games 3- 6/10 | I used to despise this map, but now I really do like it. I don't know very many chests, but I can find enough to go hunting the people that do. :)

Survival Games 4- 7/10 | Used to be my favorite map by far. I know this map like the back of my hand, and given a chance, I can get 20 chests at least in 2 or 3 minutes. I think it still is my favorite, but the chest routes are too overcrowded resulting in being punched to death in about half the matches.

Survival Games 5- 5/10 | This map is okay, but the snow slabs are annoying and the corn is also difficult to gain bearings in.

Breeze Island- 4/10 | This map would be okay if it weren't for the crazy amount of water in it. Hope static_nightmare implements his new version with less water soon.

Insanity Cause- 3.5/10 | Argh, impossible to do pathfinding in. Impossible to move. Impossible to find chests. Worse than Breeze if that is possible.

Teweran SG 1- 7/10 | Very good terraforming and a decent amount of chests. Nothing bad about it but nothing awesome about it either.

Teweran SG 2- 8/10 | I honestly haven't explored very much of this map but the parts I have, I really enjoy.

Kharmunrah- ?/10 | Can't think what this map is off the top of my head. I know I have played it before though :p

Fortress Pyke- 6/10 | Pretty good. Haven't explored a whole lot but I like what I have seen so far.

Survival Kingdom- 8/10 | Have to give this one a 8 because of my chest route and the impressive architecture. The map seems a bit to cluttered with vines, parkour, buildings and whatnot, but it is a very solid map and I think half my wins have been here.

Ancient Japan- 7/10 | Like it a lot. Especially the architecture. I don't really have a chest route for this map, but I don't need it. The map has so many chests and has so much opportunity for PvP, that I only need 2 or 3 good ones.

Moonlight Lake- 7/10 | Pretty good. I despise the corn on this map as I am not good at Parkour under pressure, but overall this map is quite good and carries a lot of chests.

Asia Games- 4/10 | Pretty bad. A ginormous hodge-podge of random stuff from other maps. Not enough chests and far too big.

Solar Frost- 5/10 | Decent and solid. A small map, but big enough to play a good 15 minutes on.

Removed:
MCSG Ruins- ?/10 Never Played

Hungry Hills- 3/10 | Awful. Just Awful.

Skylands Survival- 3/10 |Boring and too large.

Overgrown Arena- ?/10 | Never Played.

Yellowstone- 1/10 | I have to quote and agree with Blamph on this one:
Were there even chests on this map? And what was that stone wall?

Aman4o2

Experienced
Reaction score
It looked like everybody else had a different opinion, so here's mine:
Survival Games 1- 4/10 I had good experiences with this map, but now the pirate boat is too overpowered and whoever goes there will basically get full iron armor and diamond sword.
Survival Games 2- 4/10 I used to love this map and I would have rated it 10/10. But now, most of the chests on my chest route are gone, and the pedistol block is changed to a different one. I used to use the pattern on the stonebrick block to guide me to my chest route.
Survival Games 3- 5/10 I don't get why everybody hates this map! It is very nicely built, the only problem is that the map is sort of big. If it was smaller, and had more chests, I would give a better rating.
Survival Games 4- 6/10 Even though this map is overplayed, I still say it is a good map due to its small radius, flat lands (So that it is more on PvP rather than jumping around and failing), and many tier 2 chests.
Survival Games 5- 8/10 I very much love this map. I <3 the corn when you start because it is very easy to get a corn chest. I love all the flat land, and the buildings, but the only problem is when you are getting corn, you have to be EXTREMELY careful about sneak-attacks.
Breeze Island- 5/10 I hated this map, until all the tier 2 chests came in :p
Insanity Cause- 2/10 I despise this map, because of all the vines and all the trees everywhere. It is built very well, but it is just hard to find chest routes.
Teweran SG 1- -2/10 No, just no. This map is just awful. It is built nicely, but the fact that is on ice, just makes it horrible. The whole map is ice (pretty much), and I don't like the corn.
Teweran SG 2- 6/10 Very nice theme, WAAAY better than the first map of Teweran. I love the buildings, the chest placements, the flat land at corn. The only problem is that the map us sort of big. Also it needs more tier 2 chests, and less teaming.
Kharmunrah- 2/10 Not very fun to play on, hard to find good chests, you can die very easily from fall damage on the pyramid.
Fortress Pyke- 4.5/10 I don't hate this map, but I don't like it either. The map is big, and I don't like water fighting. I have a good chest route, and it is easy to find people with optifine.
Survival Kingdom- 3/10 Lots of chests, but can't find a single one for some reason. Big map, can get lost, nice buildings, but need more space in the map. I'm getting chlosterphobic!
Ancient Japan- 7.5/10 I like this map. It has flat land everywhere, very nice chest placement, and does not lag on my computer. I don't know why, but hackers seem to like this map, since I see at least 2 hackers every time I play this map.
Moonlight Lake- 7.5/10 New map, and I like it. The map is rather small, which I like. Unique corn design, using the lilypads as surface. I like this map overall.
Asia Games- 8/10 I have a very good chest route on this map. I just like this map for that reason :p
Solar Frost- 9.5/10 Absolutely lovin' it. Very small map, which is in my favor, very nice corn, and nice chest placement. I have a approximately 90% win ratio on this map.

Removed:
MCSG Ruins- 1/10 I am glad that this map got removed. It is just plain crap. The only thing I like is the corn.
Hungry Hills- 1/10 Worst. Map. Ever. Too much mountains, and EXTREMELY hard to get back to corn. Too much obstacles in the way at corn.
Skylands Survival- 1/10 Nope. Too many traps, can die/fall out of the world very easily, needs more chests.
Overgrown Arena- Over 9000/10 Why did MCSG ever get rid of this map??? This is THE BEST map that MCSG has ever had. The corn is very flat, there are lots of chests, even though this map is big, it is worth the waiting of other players. I want this map back. Period.
Yellowstone- 4/10 Decent map, although I don't know why they removed it. It was an okay map, nicely built tree at corn, but it was too big of a map. A stone dome then a glass dome. Dafuq.

Sir Royal

Experienced
Reaction score
Survival Games 1- 10. Why 10? Because it's simply what the Survival Games were meant to be, survival. Chests weren't very common, and it was immense. It's simply what MCSG is to be.
Survival Games 2- 8. It's amazingly detailed and a great sequal to the successful SG1.
Survival Games 3- 6. It has a breathtaking opening, and with the addition of mobs, it's great. My only problem with this map is it's extremly confusing design.
Survival Games 4- 3. This map was a huge bummer for me. It was extremly small and chests were EVERYWHERE. I easily won every match and it's way too popular.
Survival Games 5- 8. The cornucopia is extremly unique and fun. The way its made makes it easy to run away from the corn, or run to it. To the flat and large open areas, to the small buildings and caves, makes this map a good time.
Breeze Island- 7. This map is amazing. The way it's made just makes it so fun to play. With just the right amount of chests, and the way its set up, again, means for alot of quick deaths. My ONLY Problem with this is the large amount of water, its so frustrating to kill players that run into the water.
Insanity Cause- ? Never Played
Teweran SG 1- 4. I really didn't play to often, it lacked gameplay aswell.
Teweran SG 2-9. The desert setting is perfect, and the caves and houses are extremely fun to explore. It keeps the taste of SG1 Making this a good time.
Kharmunrah- ? Forgot
Fortress Pyke-? Forgot
Survival Kingdom-2. I honestly didn't like this AT ALL. The way it's set up with the buildings everywhere just isn't fun at all.
Ancient Japan- 6. This map was really fun to play, and even though players complain that it's so laggy, Fix your computer. I run at a solid 60 FPS with SEUS.
Moonlight Lake- 1. This map was just... Ugh.. Horribly rushed. The fact that there is randomly placed buildings is just HORRIBLE. I would of given it a zero, but the corn is nicely made.
Asia Games- 7. Although I only played three times, it was a memorable experience. It was pretty cool, your decent average SG.
Solar Frost- 9. I don't know why I love this map, it's just appealing to me. The fact that there is only caves and traps makes it fun and unique, I wouldn't play this everday, but every once and a while is fun.

Removed:
MCSG Ruins- .5, It was just bad. The corn was unfair and it was frusterating to lose all your stuff when you fall down at the corn.
Hungry Hills- 8. This map was REALLY good. I'm not sure why it was removed, the huge mountains and arena made it so fun and kept that SG1 feel.
Skylands Survival-4. Even though the submarine was extremly overpowered, it was okay.
Overgrown Arena-100000/10. THIS MAP IS AMAZING. Hands down my favorite map. It was so immense, LARGER then sg1. It just appealed to my tastes.
Yellowstone- 2. I really didn't like this map too much. It takes place in a park/zoo. A good setting for the survival games? I think not.

Alpha

Platinum
Reaction score
Lil' Alpha's gonna give it a go!

Survival Games 1- 7/10 I like it a bit, used to be fun when I was a noob. Reminded me of Classic Minecraft.
Survival Games 2- 40/10 If I could go higher...
Survival Games 3- 5/10 It's an OK map, not the best, though.
Survival Games 4- 8.5/10 Honestly, one of the best maps; it's very well laid out & makes for some great fights.
Survival Games 5- 5/10 Do not like. Build quality is great; but not a good PVP map.
Breeze Island- 1/10 I was as generous to give a 1 to this heinous map as I've had fun on it, once.
Insanity Cause- 4/10 I kinda like it; jungle wayyyy to dense.
Teweran SG 1- 8/10 Fun. Fun. Cray-fish building. Fun.
Teweran SG 2- 8.5/10 Do like. Have OP chest route.
Kharmunrah-6/10 I actually kinda like this map; way too big; but in my nooby days, this was one of my most memorable matches.
Fortress Pyke-6.5/10 I kinda liked it; had some solid matches on there.
Survival Kingdom-7/10 God apple is god.
Ancient Japan-8/10 When you get off the main island, it's very...interesting.
Moonlight Lake-7.5/10 Played it a bit. Very fun.
Asia Games-6/10 Very disorganized and hard to maneuver. But it's kinda enjoyable.
Solar Frost- 9/10 I love borking people into the lava corridor. Also OP chest route. Do like

Removed:
MCSG Ruins- what/10 Played it once, won it once. End of story.
Hungry Hills-∞/10 Best map in MCSG, shame it was removed. Worse than the Bajan Coup.
Skylands Survival- -12/10 No.
Overgrown Arena- 5/10 Only played once or twice, kinda fun. :/
Yellowstone- -10/10 How did this get passed testing?!?

CarissaTT

Survivor
Reaction score
Survival Games 1-8/10: It's always been one of my favourites, because it reminds me most of The Hunger Games. It's very big and there's never normally a boring game, the chests are quite easy to find and it feels like home!
Survival Games 2- 6/10: It used to be my favourite map, I have a great route and usually enjoy the gameplay, but sometimes I feel the map and buildings are just too big and complex. There are only two good routes I know of.
Survival Games 3- 6/10:I adore the map, but it's way too big, and games can be very boring.
Survival Games 4- 9/10: Very overplayed, but very fun. SG4 games are always my favourites.
Survival Games 5- 8/10: Probably my favourite map, I wish it was played more. The amount of funny memories I have on this map is insane, the lagg is its only flaw.
Breeze Island- 5/10: Games are fun and exciting, but the water drives me crazy and it's very overplayed.
Insanity Cause- 6/10: I really enjoy this new map, I don't like the jungles but I do like the chest placement, structures and i've had some good gameplay on it.
Teweran SG 1- 8/10: I LOVE this map, on the rare chance I do get to play it, I know it'll be an interesting game, and the building is so beautiful.
Teweran SG 2- 10/10: I have yet to find a flaw in this perfect map.
Kharmunrah- Never played it, no opinion.
Fortress Pyke- Can't remember much about this map, no opinion.
Survival Kingdom- 8/10: Again, one of my favourites. Chests are easy to find, lots of places to explore, entertaining gameplay.
Ancient Japan- 0/10 you suck
Moonlight Lake- 5/10: Really nice map, good for quick and easy games, just a bit lacking.
Asia Games- 2/10: I took an instant disliking to this map, I have yet to have even got to death match.
Solar Frost- 10/10: Fun, interesting and quick games = LOVE YOU SOLAR!

wonderwaffle237

Experienced
Reaction score
Survival Games 1- 7/10 - The map is way too big and hard to navigate, and there are really only two routes. It was the first, and provided me with a lot of enjoyment back in beta.

Survival Games 2- 10/10 - Love the map, amazing building, amazing routes, MINMAL WATER FIGHTS. The only drawback is the noobs that dont realize the tall buildings are worthless.

Survival Games 3-8/10 - Love the terraforming and the gameplay in general. Kinda hard to find the hipsters who don't go for temple or village though.

Survival Games 4- 5/10 - I see almost no problems with the map, except that we're using an old build. Overplayedness ruined it completely for me though.

Survival Games 5- 7/10 - I like this map a lot, it's kinda like a snowy SG 2. Not many Teir 2's though, and limited options for getting to to the top of corn were kinda annoying.

Breeze Island- 1/10 - Awful. Too much water, all of the chests are on mountains, too much water. Did I mention there is too much water?

Insanity Cause- 1/10 - Awful as well. Just a jungle with a few buildings.

Teweran SG 1- 7/10 - Ok, my route was a really used one, so it was a challenge to get started for me. Love the map otherwise.

Teweran SG 2- 9/10 - Awesome map, very well made. I took one off because it just doesn't feel right when I play it for some reason. I can't describe it, but the way it feels is just wrong.

Kharmunrah- 9/10 - Love the map, my chest route is amazing, all of the chests are very well placed. There are some building flaws though, like that random forest?

Fortress Pyke- 6/10 - I could never formulate a route, and it seemed wherever I ran there would be at least 4 others. Great building though

Survival Kingdom- 7/10 - The map is good, tons of chests, cool buildings. But I hate Bigmike and Biffington. They made chestroutes that they only knew about? And Chad accepted this? No teir 2's as well.

Ancient Japan- 7/10 - The builds are good, but if you don't get gear in the first 3 minutes you're screwed.

Moonlight Lake- 6/10 - Ok map, really basic though. A pain to run through as well.

Asia Games- 3/10 - Don't really like it, just some random buildings and aisan stuff made into a map

Solar Frost- 10/10 - Love the map, amazingly made. It is completely unexpected that a new idea like this could have been executed so beautifully the first try.

Removed:
MCSG Ruins- 1/10 - Need I explain? It's a natural world with a few chests, a corn, and the old lobby underneath. Horrible.

Hungry Hills- 4/10 - The map itself is beautiful, but there are next to no chests. A big problem there.

Skylands Survival- 5/10 - I hated it at first, but came to like it after I got a solid route. A new idea that wasn't done right.

Overgrown Arena- 6/10 - I only played it a few times. Same problems as Hungry Hills and Yellowstone, only much less severe. Also made better that Yyellowstone.

Yellowstone- 1/10 - Same as Hungry Hills only made worse by the dense forest/ mountains.

Breeze Island- 4/10- Has a large list of problems I should probably fix. Maybe it's had its time, despite continued popularity by the noobs. Should be a 'once in a while map' rather than 'every third game'
Insanity Cause- 7/10- Better than breeze. Tight environments are an issue. Wish to see more people on the canopy, but doesn't turn out that way usually. I just love my oil rig :)
Despite that you gave us the horrible monstrosity that is breeze, I have a lot of respect for you that you rated it that low.

teovald

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Survival Games 1- 9
Survival Games 2-10
Survival Games 3-10
Survival Games 4-1
Survival Games 5-3
Breeze Island-7
Insanity Cause-4
Teweran SG 1-4
Teweran SG 2-10
Kharmunrah-7
Fortress Pyke-5
Survival Kingdom-7
Ancient Japan-5
Moonlight Lake-2
Asia Games-2
Solar Frost-8

Removed:
MCSG Ruins-8
Hungry Hills-8
Skylands Survival-4
Overgrown Arena-7
Yellowstone-2

thepalgamer

Survivor
Reaction score
I know that this seems like shameless advertising, but I'm going to try and review all of the maps, one a week, in great detail, seeing what works in a map, atmosphere, equality, PvP, etc. I'm going to start on Saturday, so feel free to view it. Other than that, great post! I generally agreed with your reviews (finally, someone who hates moonlight lake!), even though you made a few controversial choices (SG1 given a 4!?). I look forward to more of your posts.

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
I know that this seems like shameless advertising, but I'm going to try and review all of the maps, one a week, in great detail, seeing what works in a map, atmosphere, equality, PvP, etc. I'm going to start on Saturday, so feel free to view it. Other than that, great post! I generally agreed with your reviews (finally, someone who hates moonlight lake!), even though you made a few controversial choices (SG1 given a 4!?). I look forward to more of your posts.
There needs to be controversy on a thread like this. There simply must be. :p
I just personally don't enjoy playing SG1, so that's why my rating is low for it. It doesn't mean I think others shouldn't like it, I just don't personally think I should give it a higher rating if I don't enjoy it.

ManOfTheBread

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'll just be simple and to the point (too tired to explain, I'll just edit my post later)
Survival Games 1- 7
Survival Games 2- 10
Survival Games 3- 8
Survival Games 4- 6
Survival Games 5- 7
Breeze Island- 5
Insanity Cause- 2
Teweran SG 1- 6
Teweran SG 2- 10
Kharmunrah- 8
Fortress Pyke- 7
Survival Kingdom- 7
Ancient Japan- 6
Moonlight Lake- 1 This Map makes me laugh at how bad it is.
Asia Games- Haven't Played
Solar Frost- 8

Removed:
MCSG Ruins- 2
Hungry Hills- 8
Skylands Survival- 3
Overgrown Arena- 6
Yellowstone- 6

Boboaluitz

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'll give a one word description of each map along with the rating, as a challenge. Some of the words are references to situations I have experienced on these maps.

Survival Games 1- 6 Classic
Survival Games 2- 8 Differential
Survival Games 3- 6 Adventurous
Survival Games 4- 5 Abused
Survival Games 5- 6 Panicky
Breeze Island- 6 Monotonous
Insanity Cause- 5 Miscellaneous
Teweran SG 1- 6 Skyrim
Teweran SG 2- 7 Sprinting
Kharmunrah- 6 Camels
Fortress Pyke- 7 Joust
Survival Kingdom- 9 Astounding