• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Using Flint and Steel to negate knockback - Viable or not?

Is this tactic viable? (Please elaborate further in comments)

• Yes

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I still have yet to learn what this is

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

Kreix

Experienced
Reaction score
They are most likely trying to do the thing where you jump, and place a fire under yourself. If you do it right, it basically just makes a fire appear behind you, but I guess they aren't doing it right xD
#rivalfire AMIRITE john

Wyz

Diamond
Reaction score
The anti-knockback only works if you are standing on the firesource, it's a nice tactic, as you don't take that much damage when you stand on it, but when you get out you get that 3.5 heart damage.

Cameron

Diamond
Reaction score
This has been around for quite awhile and I'm surprised that this has only been public for not very long. Anyway by any case you should never light yourself on fire so you get less knockback. It's a high risk high reward tactic. However if you have been lit on fire by someone it's easy to get amazing combo's leading to a nice comeback after being lit on fire. That's really the only way it can help you in a situation.

jtmboy

Diamond
Reaction score
I like were your coming from but you need to be a pvp master to be lit on fire and kill another player who is not lit on fire

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I asked a similar question.
When standing IN the fire, you take no to very little knockback as well.

It's usable, but I wouldn't use it as a tactic often. The noobs could get a mod without this knowledge to ban you, and you may get accused of ha ks.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Unless you're really confident, the cons will outweigh the pros. You're just opening yourself up to taking more damage, and cannot strafe as effectively or flee the scene if you are low. I feel as if you're already lit on fire by somebody attacking you, you may as well fight them because trying to run away will get you nowhere anyway, but purposely lighting yourself on fire is simply suicide.

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
Not viable.

I also wouldn't worry about negating the effect of other tributes' fishing rods - The majority of players don't actually use them correctly or know how and why they work.

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
Would require a very, very specific instance to even consider, so I don't really think it's worth learning. It'll likely never come up.

I would, however, like to know why it happens. I don't recall it being this way early 1.7, instead being very recent. Seems strange, though, because I've seen it happen on a few different servers, so it'd have to be an update to a common plugin like NCP, or a client side issue with different versions...

Can anyone confirm if this happens in vanilla multiplayer? (Fishing rod doesn't work in vanilla btw.) If so, in what version? (1.7.?, 1.8.?, a combination?) I suspect it may have to do with some way 1.8 (or another) client version handles multiple simultaneous damage sources. (Can't hit someone with a sword a second time until the first tick of it wears off, but you can hit someone with a sword after a fire damage tick - they are separate with different cooldowns. Might be that the code now works where if any cooldown is in place, it gives immunity to knockback.) If this is the case, then 1.8 may be advantageous, (or the opposite.) but it really depends on how it works, and potentially, what end of the sword/fishing rod you're on.

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
Not viable.

I also wouldn't worry about negating the effect of other tributes' fishing rods - The majority of players don't actually use them correctly or know how and why they work.
Sure, there are many players who attempt to be better by utilizing the fishing rod and fail miserably. But I honestly can't blame them; we were all at that stage before - attempting to learn a new tactic and constantly practicing it.

However, it is undeniable that if mastered, the fishing rod is an extremely lethal weapon.

AlLuc

Career
Reaction score
Its pretty ballsy but with practice I reckon it could be useful against people that use crits and such. Though it could be combated with a gapple to make it less health taking.
But your opponant would have to be cocky/silly to run in when your on fire as you could just be bowed down from a distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci