• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

If changing your regedit values is allowed, why isn't gamma?

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
How does Gamma help you in SG? radodim got banned cause he used Gamma in SG... Gamma doesn't help in PvP but Regedit does...
The only thing I really see from gamma is the fact that it reduces shadows and makes everything bright, so if you're in a dark room you can see better than someone who isn't, but it's not like the person without gamma can't see at all anyway :p

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
The only thing I really see from gamma is the fact that it reduces shadows and makes everything bright, so if you're in a dark room you can see better than someone who isn't, but it's not like the person without gamma can't see at all anyway :p
Like hitboxes don't already help you in dark rooms/nights

OGLad

Platinum
Reaction score
if they allow redgeit they should just allow all pvp advantages.

J

Jojo

Thread moved to the new forums section MCGamer Discussions.
Have a nice day! :)

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
Like hitboxes don't already help you in dark rooms/nights
In this example…the smallest things give you the biggest advantages, and that depends on how you let it affect you.

For example, if someone uses a resource pack and they're really good at it, naturally, people will think that they will get good using it too. Maybe it's the low fire/higher fps it provides, but it seems to 'help', subconsciously, you would be more confident with this 'pro-addon'. Truthfully though, you'd probably do just fine without all the add-ons, which brings up another question.

What counts as an unfair modification?

Some players probably don't know how to use the settings to their advantage, and don't know how they change the way that they play subconsciously and not a technical advantage. Say, you use that clear water toggle on optifine; on one hand, you could say it reduces the time ever so slightly (and because Minecraft PVP is everything on timing) to look where the person is to get that bow shot before the other does. And as I said before, that really depends on that and also if you take advantage of it or not. Besides this, there are so many small settings in Minecraft that you could change to have something over the other player, or have the same/less than the other player. That's just in Minecraft as well, think of everything else, the hacks online, and even down to ambience to keep you calm in-fighting. How is anyone supposed to keep track of all of these differences between players' settings, and even the players themselves?

Where do we draw the line between individuality in playing games, and an unfair advantage against others?

OGLad

Platinum
Reaction score
In this example…the smallest things give you the biggest advantages, and that depends on how you let it affect you.

For example, if someone uses a resource pack and they're really good at it, naturally, people will think that they will get good using it too. Maybe it's the low fire/higher fps it provides, but it seems to 'help', subconsciously, you would be more confident with this 'pro-addon'. Truthfully though, you'd probably do just fine without all the add-ons, which brings up another question.

What counts as an unfair modification?

Some players probably don't know how to use the settings to their advantage, and don't know how they change the way that they play subconsciously and not a technical advantage. Say, you use that clear water toggle on optifine; on one hand, you could say it reduces the time ever so slightly (and because Minecraft PVP is everything on timing) to look where the person is to get that bow shot before the other does. And as I said before, that really depends on that and also if you take advantage of it or not. Besides this, there are so many small settings in Minecraft that you could change to have something over the other player, or have the same/less than the other player. That's just in Minecraft as well, think of everything else, the hacks online, and even down to ambience to keep you calm in-fighting. How is anyone supposed to keep track of all of these differences between players' settings, and even the players themselves?

Where do we draw the line between individuality in playing games, and an unfair advantage against others?
they honestly should just allow anyone to use regedit, macros, gamma, and pvp mods there is no point half the mcsg comunity hiding it and getting extra advantages over other players

J

District 13
Reaction score
Alright let's start on this possible long post.

Regedit, to Moderators and Sr. Moderators unaware of what it is, it's a setting inside Windows XP or higher which is able to increase your ping latency towards a server as well as negating lag. For example, I'm playing on Badlion, I use regedit, it helps with the pot lag I obtain and it makes my knockback negated a bit.

Gamma, I'm sure that every Moderator and Sr. Moderator should know what this is, but if they do not (hopefully they do) gamma is a modded client which increases the brightness of your Minecraft so that it is more visible to players.

Now, onto the main point. Should gamma be allowed and/or regedit be a punishable offense for using it. Gamma isn't much of an advantage in my opinion, yes it does make dark caves visible, but wouldn't that be the same for Windows user? For players using a Mac, their screen will occasionally be much much darker even on the highest setting for brightness their is, while Windows is already brighter by default. With this in mind, why can't gamma be allowed? I realize not everyone might realize how to increase it, but if say a staff member makes a guide on it, lots of users could easily learn and install gamma just like optifine. Another issue is that MCGamer has the gamemode, UHC, where mainly everyone on other servers that do allow gamma or UHC Essentials use. It's a client that everyone is able to easily download by searching a tutorial on Youtube.

With regedit, it may be hard to detect certain users using it but it should be a punishable offense in my opinion. It improves ping latency which isn't too bad, but the other side effects such as knockback. Knockback with regedit is reduced and sometimes it seems as if the user does not have any knockback, it's something that should be punishable as many players can take advantage of it by going in close, and killing the player with their improved ping and reduced knockback.

Anyways, I've written what needed to be written, and if possible, I would like Moderators and/or Sr. Moderators to discuss about a possibility of a rule change in the next meetings for Moderators and/or Sr. Moderators.

LunarFrostMC

Spectator
Reaction score
Well, the main reason is because not as many people know what the specific regedit process is, and I'd be suprised if the Sr. Staff knew what the values were. Adding onto that, you can't exactly tell if someone has changed them, and the effect varies. The main reason people did this was on pot servers to reduce potlag, it usually doesn't affect your knockback at all (unless you have a bad connection to your router, in that case it'll improve that a ton and the difference will help you out a little bit knockback wise)
but why is gamma not allowed?

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
REGEDIT DOES NOT REDUCE KNOCKBACK (TESTED)

REGEDIT DOES NOT REDUCE YOUR PING IF YOU HAVE AN AVERAGE OF 0-2MS TO YOUR ROUTER

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci