• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Letting out some frustration...

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
As infuriating as being targeted and having 'GG' insults thrown at you (Yes, I said insults as that is how I perceive them now. Saying GG used to be respectful, saying you put a good fight up now it's a way to anger players upon killing them)
Why can't you take GG at face value? The only way GG has changed is in people's perception. When I say GG, I actually mean good game (you don't say!). When somebody says 'GG 5 hearts' or 'GGNORE', or if they say GG after tryharding you, that is different and definitely a taunt. But in all other cases people just need to stop looking for reasons to be mad when there are none.

cscoop

Platinum
Reaction score
This right here brings up my argument of "PvP isn't fun anymore." What I'm referring to directly is the fact that running to incorporate other strategies into your game has become a necessary factor in nearly every battle, and unfortunately, it's a ridiculously boring one. The game has changed dramatically compared to the "meta" game of mid-2012. Does this naturally happen in all online games? Yes. Is this a bad thing? Not always. I'll throw an example of how much the Survival Games PvP game has changed since then.

It's mid July of 2012, and the rush to gain a top spot on the fresh new leaderboard is very real. I join a match, and while recognized by some, no one effectively tries to chase me down and punch me to death (this will tie into the community factor later on in this post.) About 8 minutes into the match, I am one of the final 10 players left, and have a decent amount of gear. I run into the village in SG2, and see someone I can target, but he also sees me. I analyze one thing, his gear. He's at about the same level of armor points, and that's all I need to know. We bull rush each other and essentially just duke it out until someone dies in that SAME spot we started fighting in before. At most one of us tries to get a good strafe on each other. I get the advantage with a simple strafe and win the battle. I don't type GG, as I understand that this usually tilts the players.

Fast forward to August of 2013. I'm on the server, and while I shouldn't be forced to buy an alt, I understand why I do, and am enjoying my time as an unknown player on the servers. The match starts, and I make my way to my chest route with little to no problems. About 5-6 minutes later and there are 8 players left. I'm looking great gear and weapon wise with full iron and an iron sword left from picking off or sneaking up on some relatively sparsely geared players combined with my chest route. On my way back to corn I finally see another competitor who has the exact same gear as me. He acknowledges me but for some odd reason he dips out of any potential fight and starts sprint jumping the opposite way. I chase him for around 45 seconds and am quickly gaining on him. Little do I know, I'm in for a mighty obvious surprise with this fight, as I see 2 - 3 bursts of fire on the ground right in front of me. I dodge the fire and think to myself "Oh, of course!" He continues to run without engaging in any type of sword fighting. He attempts a couple of quick bow shots on me and after a solid minute of attempting he strikes one and decides it's finally a good time to engage in some real sword combat. Before this though he quickly scrolls over to his fishing rod and misses a couple of times but finally hits me twice with it effectively knocking me back and stunning me to get a couple of quick shots into me. I fight back though with my old style of fighting and strafing and somehow manage to take him down to a certain level of hearts that he is afraid to fight at. Around a minute into the chasing I become bored. He manages to get a golden apple in, along with some attempts at a turnaround bow shot. I'm bored. I'm really bored, so I decide he's not worth my time and I'll hopefully be able to fight him in a smaller arena in deathmatch. But quickly after leaving him alone he decides it's time to chase me. I finally just decide that this is ridiculous and go into the fight as bored as a goose. I lose the fight because he's drained all of my cares to give, and I log off of Minecraft realizing how much my simple beloved game has changed.

I don't exaggerate when I say that I fight players who use strategies like this in every single match. It's simply a staple to use these strategies now, and I understand and realize that nothing will change this. All I'm getting to with this post is that I agree with you Six. The community has changed, but that's guaranteed to happen over time, no matter the game.

What has been putting me off from the game hasn't been the community (though lately some members have been following me in matches and trolling me into battles with just their fists and then running every time they engage me, this is bogus), but it's been the gameplay that I run into every match. I just simply don't find it fun to play this way, and I can't comprehend how anyone does. Those are just my opinions on the subject. of gameplay and community.

It's actually a bit funny, because there was very little strategy in the game last year. The most you'd see was from the likes of Zeejayy mastering water, or me taking my targets into the trees of corn because I was simply just better at getting a kill in them. Mmm.
I completely agree with how the play style has drastically changed. I've been playing a lot with my clan containing relatively new players, and oldies like me. We all go into one server, and all go solo. I engage into a thrilling only sword fight with an older player. Later in the game I will engage with a newer player, and what you said you have happen to you, happens to me. I'll get them to around 7 hearts and they just run until they can re-engage and get the advantage.

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I can't really say I've felt that as my W/L is only 30% (I consider that pretty bad) I've never had a great win loss as I started out terrible, not to mention my Internet sucks (See signature :p) I guess I can try to understand though, my W/L used to be at 15% and I can't really say I was ever happy lagging out of games or getting targeted as that made it worse. I tried to get it up to standard to be considered 'good' and losing games can be frustrating as it makes it worse.
30% is good considering as the average is 4.2% (1/24).

As for your problem Sixzo, the solution is to simply create a hit list. Find their skins and print them out and create a dart board. For every one you kill, dart them on the board until every one has a dart piercing through it.

But personally I think to fix this tertiary weapon over-usages I think fishing rods need lower durability, as well as we need a solution to fix this "GG" over-usage when used offensively. :p

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Why can't you take GG at face value? The only way GG has changed is in people's perception. When I say GG, I actually mean good game (you don't say!). When somebody says 'GG 5 hearts' or 'GGNORE', or if they say GG after tryharding you, that is different and definitely a taunt. But in all other cases people just need to stop looking for reasons to be mad when there are none.

I am sorry to tell you, you are not everyone in the whole entire universe.

Some players do use it as a way to tell the other person they did a good fight, etc. But in my personal experience it's generally always a taunt.

GG after tryharding you, that is different and definitely a taunt.
Probably 80% of all the GG's I get.

Basically every GG I've ever gotten is in a situation where it's near impossible for me to strike back and win. For examples purpose if a team kills me and then says 'GG' would you take that as a sign of respect? If a team says that either..

a) They're mocking, taunting and attempting to annoy you

b) They don't know what 'good' means (Highly unlikely as that would mean they probably haven't passed kindergarten)

Math_Magician

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I might regret doing this for some unreasonable reason, but right now I feel it will let out a lot of built up frustration.

Warning: All unwanted, unnecessary, and disrespectful comments/replies will be deleted.

Recently, I have been asked by many people why they don't ever see me in games.

Here is why:

To start off, I can't go into a normal game. Literally every game I go into, there is always someone annoying me. Typically once I go online, I get followed around by a select group of people who just seek to try and kill me. To be quite honest, I am tired of it. Earlier today I decided to get into a game and happened to play on a map I hardly recognize. In that game, I was doing fairly well although my main problem was I couldn't find a crafting table. Nonetheless, in my game was a group of people who seemed pretty competitive. I don't want to point out names, but one of the people I encountered was the generic "fishing rod/flint and steel/turn around and do a spin bowshotter. (if that makes sense :p)
I proceed to engage him in combat. After a good 10 seconds, he decides he is going to run away. Once he regenerates health, he comes back and fights again. He is about to lose, so he runs away again.
This cycle happens for about 10 mins. At one point I was just running around in circles waiting for him. I double F5 and notice that he has a flint and steel in his hand. He proceeds to use it and is disappears out of his hand. I presume it only had one use left. After this, he stops moving and appears to craft what seems like 5 flint and steel. At this point I am literally doing anything to have him fight me. I pull back my bow and just stand still. He shoots me twice and gains confidence and wants to fight now. At this point, I end up dying due to a combination of flint and steel, bow shots, and melee slashes. Once I die, the entire chat is filled with various ranks saying "GG".
I was there when this happened, and to be fair you were complaining about the fact that he was running (By typing, "And they run, and run,") But, you also ran when you were low... He never said anything to provoke you in chat. Although he did type "GG", I think he honestly meant it, seeing as the battle was long an intense. He was probably really excited to kill someone of your caliber. He likely isn't really happy anymore after this post.

Edit: He also had considerably less gear than you, so that may have added to his excitement.

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
You have a point, but I think thst in a lot of those cases, they may just be misguided and may actually think that teaming people constitutes a good game. If they really wanted to get at you they would say ggnore etc.

And as for the bit where you say 'in my personal experience' (too lazy to quote on mobile), how can you know they intended it that way?

And please don't do the 'you're not everyone' thing. I'm not self-centered; I'm just giving my thoughts.

edit: this was to darkrai

Mc_Fails

Survivor
Reaction score
What everyone has to understand is that things like this or similar happen in almost any multiplayer game, at least that I have seen. I have not personally seen the "better days" of MCSG, but I have heard all of the stories.

Almost any genre of game, that is competitive, with a ranking system turns out like this. The top are praised and known by many, if they are known by many it means the bullies of the community are more likely to target them. Most highly ranked people understand that this is inevitable, and nothing will change that except for an alt.

There are the highs and the lows of being "well known," and if you want to keep playing with this community, they will just have to be accepted.

Also, SixZo. You can't say at any point in time were the leader boards based more on skill than they are now. It will always be the really really good people, who also have the time to play the most, if it is based on wins, unless your W/L is supernatural.

CandyCranium

District 13
Reaction score
Moving on, people are constantly wanting MCSG to be like it used to be. In my opinion, the servers are fine. It is the community that is not like what it used to be. Everything was a lot more simple back then. I would log onto the forums and find threads like "I just got my first win" or "Look at this, I made it to the highest point in SG2" Threads like that are a rarity now. Most threads are "who is the best" or something along those lines. Its not the servers that need to change, it's the community.
This.

Tinyoneo

Survivor
Reaction score
So much has changed in a year. I can't even believe it has been a year. I am an old 2012 player and I can easily point out the differences of the pvp battling of these two years. I won't list them since others have already done so. And I do really wish MCSG would have weekly leaderboards. It would make me more motivated to play more instead of entering a lobby and immediately leaving because of certain maps being played i dislike, or the players in it, etc. It really is a shame

L

Lululioness

This is actually very true, even though I'm not very good at PvP, have super low wins and most people get 5 points for killing me, everyone targets me for one thing- my pink name. I get chased for a few minutes from spawn by a team of three, two of which got stone swords from corn. They kill me and say 'lol we killed the vip he sucks'. It takes the fun out of many of my games of MCSG. Honestly this happens too often.

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
I do agree with some points presented here, however the one thing I want to point out, is that you are honestly not the only person who goes through this. Every high-ranked, or well-known player has been through this.

Hell, I'm sure it happens to "little-known", or "low-ranked" players with lots of points, or a bounty.

This little point could actually change your perspective on a few things. With the mindset that "only you and a few others" know what it's like to be targeted, can lead you become even more frustrated. This frustration is why you think you're the only one who knows what it's like. When someone targets you, you wonder "Why me? Why not any of the other 23 people in this lobby?".

It happens to many people. There are 140+ staff members in this community, and I'm sure it's happened to all of them at least once. There are numerous VIP's, and numerous friend ranks, of whom I'm sure get their fair share of targeting, as well as just about any known YouTuber within this community.

Then, when you try to discuss it, others agree, and people who have felt the same frustration feel like they have it worse. It becomes a battle of "who has it worse".

Now, about the tactics you spoke about. These are new. Flint and Steel definitely hit the mainstream, and well, so did running. As much as you might dislike, and be frustrated by these techniques, part of playing MCSG is adapting to new techniques. Whether this be adapting to them, and leading them for yourself, or adapting to them, and learning to combat them-- if you wish to continue to play, and win, sometimes it has to be done.

It's a bit like when people say "Back in my day...". Things might have been better back then, but it's nearly impossible to go back, and you just have to adapt to what's new. Keep your "old" tactics, but learn, or adapt to some of the new ones.

MCSG has changed. Strategies have evolved, gotten worse, and mainstreamed. Sometimes, whether you like it or not, you just have to adapt. If that's something you can't do-- take a break, or remove yourself from it all together.

In the end, it's a matter of opinion. This is mine, that is yours, and choosing to leave-- it's understandable. Hopefully you'll be back, but if not, it's unfortunate this is how you've grown apart from the game itself.

Mc_Fails

Survivor
Reaction score
I do agree with some points presented here, however the one thing I want to point out, is that you are honestly not the only person who goes through this. Every high-ranked, or well-known player has been through this.

Hell, I'm sure it happens to "little-known", or "low-ranked" players with lots of points, or a bounty.

This little point could actually change your perspective on a few things. With the mindset that "only you and a few others" know what it's like to be targeted, can lead you become even more frustrated. This frustration is why you think you're the only one who knows what it's like. When someone targets you, you wonder "Why me? Why not any of the other 23 people in this lobby?".

It happens to many people. There are 140+ staff members in this community, and I'm sure it's happened to all of them at least once. There are numerous VIP's, and numerous friend ranks, of whom I'm sure get their fair share of targeting, as well as just about any known YouTuber within this community.

Then, when you try to discuss it, others agree, and people who have felt the same frustration feel like they have it worse. It becomes a battle of "who has it worse".

Now, about the tactics you spoke about. These are new. Flint and Steel definitely hit the mainstream, and well, so did running. As much as you might dislike, and be frustrated by these techniques, part of playing MCSG is adapting to new techniques. Whether this be adapting to them, and leading them for yourself, or adapting to them, and learning to combat them-- if you wish to continue to play, and win, sometimes it has to be done.

It's a bit like when people say "Back in my day...". Things might have been better back then, but it's nearly impossible to go back, and you just have to adapt to what's new. Keep your "old" tactics, but learn, or adapt to some of the new ones.

MCSG has changed. Strategies have evolved, gotten worse, and mainstreamed. Sometimes, whether you like it or not, you just have to adapt. If that's something you can't do-- take a break, or remove yourself from it all together.

In the end, it's a matter of opinion. This is mine, that is yours, and choosing to leave-- it's understandable. Hopefully you'll be back, but if not, it's unfortunate this is how you've grown apart from the game itself.
You love commas :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci