• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

"Mini-Modding"

Joey

Staffing Team Lead
Reaction score
It's interesting to see what different people think about "Mini-Mods".

Vanth

Quantum
Reaction score
A problem with them is that they're trying to have authority over others without any physical authority. The response is for us to become upset, I guess. Mini-modding is also a sign that you're tryharding for mod which I find irritating. I'm too tired to write anything good, but here's this.
I do not consider myself anymore important than the next guy.

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
I do not consider myself anymore important than the next guy.

You might not intend to, but that's how you come across. Plus, as I said, trying to instate your authority over others can be irritating when you're in no place to do so.

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
As for my opinion on this whole issue. Well, it's certainly not one many people think of. My main issue with back-seat moderating, is the fact that the people doing it are acting far too impersonal. The way I see them respond to things are extremely dry, and reminds me of when I used macros for moderating. There's nothing behind the sem-robotic warnings, telling people to not swear or abuse other people. When people see that, they thing a multitude of things, few of those thoughts are positive.

This can go for moderators as well, but try to put some life in how you're responding to rule breakers. Instead of flatly saying "Do not spam..." Instead, try "Hey, let's not spam in chat, guys. It's generally frowned upon." As a person who is attempting to back-seat moderate, this kind of chatting/behavior does a few things that will ultimately benefit you. Firstly, it's nicer than just flatly telling someone not to do something. Second, you aren't projecting a false sense of authority. This makes you seem less like a mod, and more like just another player who's trying to look out for other players. This will in turn make people see you in a better, more friendly light. Next, it shows you're more friendly and approachable, which, in my opinion, is a better attribute than being steadfast or unwavering, in regards to moderation.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate back-seat moderation. It does take some of the stress of the moderators, and I appreciate that. What I don't appreciate are the people who are assuming too much power with their back-seat moderation. They've all but said they were going to ban rule breakers and regular players cannot do that. Period. I also can't say I appreciate the people who are so vehemently against the people who back-seat moderate. I understand that people may not like being told what to do by people who don't have a specific rank, but that is awfully petty. Unless a person is explicitly breaking the rules by threatening to ban other players, there's little need to get worked up over it. If a person has to be reminded by regular players to follow the rules, perhaps they should take a look at their own actions before things escalate further.

Last edited:

Vanth

Quantum
Reaction score
As for my opinion on this whole issue. Well, it's certainly not one many people think of. My main issue with back-seat moderating, is the fact that the people doing it are acting far too impersonal. The way I see them respond to things are extremely dry, and reminds me of when I used macros for moderating. There's nothing behind the sem-robotic warnings, telling people to not swear or abuse other people. When people see that, they thing a multitude of things, few of those thoughts are positive.

This can go for moderators as well, but try to put some life in how you're responding to rule breakers. Instead of flatly saying "Do not spam..." Instead, try "Hey, let's not spam in chat, guys. It's generally frowned upon." As a person who is attempting to back-seat moderate, this kind of chatting/behavior does a few things that will ultimately benefit you. Firstly, it's nicer than just flatly telling someone not to do something. Second, you aren't projecting a false sense of authority. This makes you seem less like a mod, and more like just another player who's trying to look out for other players. This will in turn make people see you in a better, more friendly light. Next, it shows you're more friendly and approachable, which, in my opinion, is a better attribute than being steadfast or unwavering, in regards to moderation.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate back-seat moderation. It does take some of the stress of the moderators, and I appreciate that. What I don't appreciate are the people who are assuming too much power with their back-seat moderation. They've all but said they were going to ban rule breakers and regular players cannot do that. Period. I also can't say I appreciate the people who are so vehemently against the people who back-seat moderate. I understand that people may not like being told what to do by people who don't have a specific rank, but that is awfully petty. Unless a person is explicitly breaking the rules by threatening to ban other players, there's little need to get worked up over it. If a person has to be reminded by regular players to follow the rules, perhaps they should take a look at their own actions before things escalate further.
You make some good points Lively. Here are a few things that I would like to tell you about genuine "Mini-Mods" :
  • Authority - Genuine "Mini-Mods" do not have a rank above that of a regular player (Unless they are a donator, VIP or Map Maker). They are no more important than your average member of the community, other than the fact they have a desire to help. They are aware that it make come across that they feel they are important, and they are sorry for that.
  • Mind set - If a "Mini Mod" is genuine and sincere about their actions, then they really do want to help the community. They see the and holes/flaws in the community (And server) and do their best to patch them up.
  • Willingness - Now-a-days "Mini Mods" receive a lot of hate. However many battle through and continue doing what they are doing. This demonstrates hard work and determination. If you keep going with the right Mind set, you can achieve anything.
  • Impact - As much as you may hate to admit it, "Mini Mods" to have a large effect on the community. If you build up your reputation, players will come to you when no Moderators are online. Someone need to control the chaos when no staff are online, right?
  • How much is to much? - "Mini Mods" spend a lot of time on the server, perhaps to much. But it is all for the greater good. In fact, me and certain staff members have typing contests when someone asks for help in chat, to see who can help the first! It is all for a good cause.
I hope this helped give you an idea as to what Mini Mods to. Also, The reason I put Mini Mods in quotation marks is because that is what you call it, not me. I simply call it helping.

Tironas11

Diamond
Reaction score
I think mini mods that do it out of sheer motivation are great and healthy for the community, but I feel as if there are some who do it because they either failed their application/interview process for moderator and clearly doing it as a way to show that they're suitable for moderation privileges despite being proven otherwise by the staff team. This isn't a bad thing per-say, but it gets comical at times when people do it out of sheer desperation. I feel as if the mini mods of the community should just apply for their moderator position if their intentions are to really help out the community, simply because that's the easiest (and most reliable) way to assist the community with every day tasks, such as the situations where most "mini-mods" step in.

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I respect mini-modders as they are trying to do their best to help the community even without the moderator rank. Great thread, Braden!

DctrCluck

Tribute
Reaction score
Mini-Modding would help out the server Staff when they are not on.

demonsushi

District 13
Reaction score
I'm going to make a genuine post as soon as I get on my computer, until then, sit on the edge of your seat, this will be a long one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci