• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

My Rant about Mod Application's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
I agree with this. Yesterday, I had to teach a new mod (Unnamed) how to deal with a report abuse. He did not know on imgur, there can be multiple pictures, and i had to direct him through some other assorted things.
One example is wooders1996... he has never won a game and his only post is his mod app. Like, no offense to wooders if he happens to read this, but I don't really think that's the kind of thing you should be looking for with applications, no matter how much experience they might have. If they don't care about the servers or forum, and are never on, they shouldn't be a mod. Fair enough if you don't have any posts if you play regularly, but otherwise..

Aellios15

Experienced
Reaction score
One thing that admittedly bugs me about most of the recent mods, is that I have never, ever seen them before. In some cases, the only post they've ever made on the forums is their mod app.
I agree with this. Yesterday, I had to teach a new mod (Unnamed) how to deal with a report abuse. He did not know on imgur, there can be multiple pictures, and i had to direct him through some other assorted things.
Both of these points are unrelated to this thread but I'll respond to them anyway. There are 108 servers and 2592 slots for players in this community. It's highly unlikely that you will ever see even 1/4 of our community. There are plenty of moderators that are hired that I've never seen before and many moderators who have been around for ages that I've never even communicated with. They do their jobs very well as moderators and just because I don't know them or I haven't seen them doesn't make that any less true.

As for you "teaching" a new moderator to deal with report abuse we've just hired many new moderators and it's likely not all of them have been ran through all of their responsibilities here and even less likely that they fully understand how to do each thing required of them. Do not try to pass judgement on the staff based of one case of a new moderator.

If you'd like to further discuss this issue I suggest making a new thread, this isn't the time nor place to continue this discussion.

Lukas Bisket

Career
Reaction score
One example is wooders1996... he has never won a game and his only post is his mod app. Like, no offense to wooders if he happens to read this, but I don't really think that's the kind of thing you should be looking for, no matter how much experience they have. If they don't care about the servers or forum, and are never on, they shouldn't be a mod. Fair enough if you don't have any posts if you play regularly, but otherwise..
When i see people with one post as a mod >.> it just blows my mind. This is where they should make minimum requirements for games played; forums posted. Honestly,when i was a server admin, i didn't care about their application, but how long the person has played on my server and how they acted towards the other members. An application cannot show anything if you have never played, and the community does not know you...

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
Both of these points are unrelated to this thread but I'll respond to them anyway. There are 108 servers and 2592 slots for players in this community. It's highly unlikely that you will ever see even 1/4 of our community. There are plenty of moderators that are hired that I've never seen before and many moderators who have been around for ages that I've never even communicated with. They do their jobs very well as moderators and just because I don't know them or I haven't seen them doesn't make that any less true.
I don't mean that I haven't seen them on the servers. I mean that I haven't heard of them, and neither has pretty much anybody else. Literally the only new mods most people have ever heard of are Sneeze7, ARBIT3R and Mr. Dice. This is because they regularly contribute to the forums, regularly play on the servers and all in all, are just great moderator candidates. I understand that I was very vague with my post, but what I meant to say was that there shouldn't be so many virtually unknowns as staff members.

Aellios15

Experienced
Reaction score
I don't mean that I haven't seen them on the servers. I mean that I haven't heard of them, and neither has pretty much anybody else. Literally the only new mods most people have ever heard of are Sneeze7, ARBIT3R and Mr. Dice. This is because they regularly contribute to the forums, regularly play on the servers and all in all, are just great moderator candidates. I understand that I was very vague with my post, but what I meant to say was that there shouldn't be so many virtually unknowns as staff members.
Again, this is the wrong thread to continue this discussion; if you'd like to continue then make another.

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
Again, this is the wrong thread to continue this discussion; if you'd like to continue then make another.
I would, but then it would seem like I'm calling for them to be demoted. Sure, they may end up doing a good job, but most of them never even come online.

Back to the topic now :x

MeGa_Mushroom

Tribute
Reaction score
Yes I came to the realization of the rules. I started writing the app a few days before the official thread was out and based my app of of what the past templates was ( When underage people could be accepted ). I saw my friend link me the place where you post it and I did. I made this post not to complain about my being denied but to bring what I think is a real problem to the community. Also you think I'm in just for the title and the priveleges? No. I legitimately want to help this community become a better place and grow. I want to get poked in the middle of the game to go tell someone to stop capsing or record a hacker. '' This thread alone shows a act of immaturity ''. No showing an act of immaturity would be if I started going around yelling at Sr. Mods and Admins about my being denied, Or going around in game doing #KorrenianForMod. In my opinion I took the more mature route and sat down like a civilized person and created this thread that stated my opinions on the matter. '' What are he benefits of hiring a 13 year old'' You may ask. Well younger people are more in sync with other people that think just a little bit like them, After all we all have that kid inside us thats thinks differently at times. There are it's up's and it's down's about this subject. I realize yes the 13 year old thing does have a drama factor to it ( This thread in the first place ). Yet I just feel inclined to speak up for the people my age that wish to be moderator that wouldn't do it themselves.
Yes it is annoying to be turned down because of your age. You have to be 18 to drink in the UK but trying to convince the law that you should be aloud because you are a mature 13 year old, isn't going to change their mind the slightest.

M

MrKorrenian

Let me ask one thing. WHY do you want to become a moderator? (this is to eveyone not just MrKorrenian)
I actually already answered this question but I guess i'll do it again. I think that younger people are more in tune to the people that are young and have problems in the community ( Therefore being able to communicate with them and understand them better ). Young people do have there bad times ( No denying that ). But I think if you just give them a chance then they can do they're job just as well as anybody can. I actually want to help make this community a better place, and help everyone under the age limit gain the position they deserve ( If they really do deserve it ).

M

MrKorrenian

Ok this is hopefully gonna be the last time I wanna make a post on this. We're not asking they go and accept everyone under the age limit, Nor do we want that. We wish that they'll make EXCEPTIONS <<<<< Keyword right there. When I say exceptions on this matter I mean for the underage people that wrote good applications. Ex : Last time I was denied for Age, And not enough detail. If I had put more detail would I have been accepted? ( This was when exceptions could be made ). Now the only message I received about my application was '' You are too young to be moderator '' ( My app was somewhat 941 words long ). All and all If they're application is really good, and you think they have potential they should make, again here's that keyword EXCEPTIONS.

Aellios15

Experienced
Reaction score
Ok this is hopefully gonna be the last time I wanna make a post on this. We're not asking they go and accept everyone under the age limit, Nor do we want that. We wish that they'll make EXCEPTIONS <<<<< Keyword right there. When I say exceptions on this matter I mean for the underage people that wrote good applications. Ex : Last time I was denied for Age, And not enough detail. If I had put more detail would I have been accepted? ( This was when exceptions could be made ). Now the only message I received about my application was '' You are too young to be moderator '' ( My app was somewhat 941 words long ). All and all If they're application is really good, and you think they have potential they should make, again here's that keyword EXCEPTIONS.
I'm sorry Korrenian but there is a reason it was changed so there would be no exceptions, while I'm not fully aware of why other than the points I've all ready made there is a reason. It's unfortunate that you're being left out based upon age but there really isn't a need for exceptions.

Mr Dice

Career
Reaction score
Yes it is annoying to be turned down because of your age. You have to be 18 to drink in the UK but trying to convince the law that you should be aloud because you are a mature 13 year old, isn't going to change their mind the slightest.
That is a whole different kettle of fish, that has a very factual reason behind it, damage to the party drinking, this can very easily be proven, but maturity is completely down to opinion, can you scientifically prove that someone is psychologically mature? Not in the slightest.

I can see your point that rules are always there for a reason, but it wasn't the best of examples. And just because the rules are there for a reason, it doesn't mean that they are always going to be successful or fair in achieving their objectives. I personally can't see that any harm will come of the rule being a bit more lenient than it currently is, especially considering the other preventative measures they have in place post-application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci