• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Specific Request: Chronic Fishing Rod Users

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
Offensive:
- Hitting them right before we engage in sword combat for a possible combo and a sure first hit.
- Spamming while chasing them to confuse them.
- Hitting them into walls and tripping them on blocks when chasing.
- Boosting friends.

Defensive:
- Hitting them away from me.

I actually learnt how to use the Fishing rod offensively by myself, I didn't see anybody do it, I just thought it was a good tactic.
That is something I don't see effectively done: Hitting them away from me.

If I wanted to get away from someone, I would run. Sometimes while chasing someone, they turn around and try to hit me back w/ the fishing rod. It usually allows me to get free hits on said player.

If in water, I can understand the idea.

ScrewYouGumby2

Diamond
Reaction score

If I wanted to get away from someone, I would run. Sometimes while chasing someone, they turn around and try to hit me back w/ the fishing rod. It usually allows me to get free hits on said player.

Example: You eat something while running then turn around and stun your opponent so you can run away. It was more effective with the old sprint system.

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
How do I use it? Well...right now, or when I used it best? I guess I used it to break somebodies sprint while chasing them. (not constantly, not spamming it, so as to make sure I can keep my sword out if they try anything. You need to find the right balance to hit somebody into walls when they're close to one and hitting them at other "random" times to throw them off. Predictable patterns of use, though, just lead to him turning around and smashing you in the face with your rod out.) I also sometimes used it when entering combat for the free hit, but I almost always failed, because the range is very specific, but it did help when it did work. (Lack of freedom of movement from the enemy when they get hit is an added bonus even if I fail. Using it when they need to make important movements is useful.)

Does it benefit me? Well, after a while, I never really messed up anymore and it never harmed my combat, I was always able to stay on my sword and never find myself confused, thus even when I missed I can't say it hurt me all too much. Recently, though, I can't say it benefits me, because I seem to have a hard enough time hitting people with my sword what with all the different sensitivities and control schemes I've been using. I'm nice and rusty from lack of serious play for many months now. Still, anybody who isn't getting any use out of it I recommend should keep trying to experiment with it. Most people won't fully understand precisely how it works when they first start, and maybe they won't for a while afterwards, but if you don't try, you'll never get it right. In this day of the community, it's necessary to use it if you want to be one of the best, so just because someone doesn't use it correctly now or to begin with, doesn't mean they shouldn't keep trying...so long as they don't mindlessly think it's helping when it's not, they won't ever learn that way.

Did I learn from someone else or did I do it on my own? Well, to begin with, for everyone else's sake here, what does "learning on my own" mean? Are we calling "learn from someone else" as "I saw someone else do it and tried it" or "someone else taught me how to do it." I would assume the latter, in which case most people in this thread can be believed they did it on their own. Otherwise, I find it hard to believe that that many people figured it out on their own without realizing someone else did it first.
In my case though...well, you know my answer. Most people probably do.

Well, I'd have to agree and disagree. In cases where you are already looking at the person coming at you, and you're proficient at switching to the rod and casting it, I'd say go for it. Don't stop to see if it hits, just cast and turn around. If you're fast enough, it really won't waste any noticeable amount of time, and with enough practice, can be cast at such an angle that at the very least, the other guy will have to dodge it at a favorable angle to yourself. (Any angle is favorable really, you move forward slightly slower when straifing. Bonus points of flat open ground where you can move at the appropriate angle yourself to force them to move "away" from you for a brief moment.)
Though admittedly, any situation where it's required to not get hit is a bad one you shouldn't be in. Realistically you shouldn't ever have to knock someone away to avoid damage.

Again, though, I must disagree. Turning around to use the fishing rod on someone chasing you is perfectly viable to keep them away when being chased. For starters, in tight spaces, such as the train at SG4, it's fairly easy to land it, and can put a fair distance between you and the chaser with a bit of aiming. It's nothing groundbreaking, though, and only enough to eat if the chaser doesn't react to it well. Even it open spaces, however, with a good aim, the required straifing the other player has to do, from my experience, is enough to keep them away. If you can do that consistently enough, a teammate can catch up from behind, since you essentially slow you and your chaser down. Bonus points for consuming food less quickly and gaining distance in extreme cases.
Though, to be fair, that's only from my experience. Still, your experience of "it usually allows me to get free hits" isn't any better as a reason. When looking at what's a "good" idea and what's a "bad" idea, you can't declare it's a bad idea just because it "usually" doesn't work out for the player. That could imply either needing more skill or getting lucky, and neither is for sure looking at it only that way. My experience is the same, admittedly, but I wanted to give my two cents anyway.

SixZoSeven

Reaction score
shortened due to length
Unless they are cheating/have an unfair advantage, no one can run faster than you. Why waste time with something that has a chance of failing when you have a fail-safe method: Continue running...
If you are sprint-jumping, one can only match your speed.

I can and did declare it as a bad idea. Most people end up doing more harm to themselves more than anything. One must account for the numerous variables that contribute to one's lack of proficiency with a fishing rod. Some have a poor internet connection while others simply don't have the motor skills to effectively use the fishing rod. While I do agree using the fishing rod gives many players a mentality that they are doing better, it really is nothing more than a false trick they are playing on themselves.

Imagine you are playing a game of soccer and you have an absolute garbage offensive scoring shot. However, you are great at tracking and blocking incoming balls. The coach will place you in a defensive position, such as goalie...not as a forward.
If you are not gaining benefits from something/actively good at something, you probably should not do it.

Theoremz

Diamond
Reaction score
How do I use it? Well...right now, or when I used it best? I guess I used it to break somebodies sprint while chasing them. (not constantly, not spamming it, so as to make sure I can keep my sword out if they try anything. You need to find the right balance to hit somebody into walls when they're close to one and hitting them at other "random" times to throw them off. Predictable patterns of use, though, just lead to him turning around and smashing you in the face with your rod out.) I also sometimes used it when entering combat for the free hit, but I almost always failed, because the range is very specific, but it did help when it did work. (Lack of freedom of movement from the enemy when they get hit is an added bonus even if I fail. Using it when they need to make important movements is useful.)

Does it benefit me? Well, after a while, I never really messed up anymore and it never harmed my combat, I was always able to stay on my sword and never find myself confused, thus even when I missed I can't say it hurt me all too much. Recently, though, I can't say it benefits me, because I seem to have a hard enough time hitting people with my sword what with all the different sensitivities and control schemes I've been using. I'm nice and rusty from lack of serious play for many months now. Still, anybody who isn't getting any use out of it I recommend should keep trying to experiment with it. Most people won't fully understand precisely how it works when they first start, and maybe they won't for a while afterwards, but if you don't try, you'll never get it right. In this day of the community, it's necessary to use it if you want to be one of the best, so just because someone doesn't use it correctly now or to begin with, doesn't mean they shouldn't keep trying...so long as they don't mindlessly think it's helping when it's not, they won't ever learn that way.

Did I learn from someone else or did I do it on my own? Well, to begin with, for everyone else's sake here, what does "learning on my own" mean? Are we calling "learn from someone else" as "I saw someone else do it and tried it" or "someone else taught me how to do it." I would assume the latter, in which case most people in this thread can be believed they did it on their own. Otherwise, I find it hard to believe that that many people figured it out on their own without realizing someone else did it first.
In my case though...well, you know my answer. Most people probably do.

Well, I'd have to agree and disagree. In cases where you are already looking at the person coming at you, and you're proficient at switching to the rod and casting it, I'd say go for it. Don't stop to see if it hits, just cast and turn around. If you're fast enough, it really won't waste any noticeable amount of time, and with enough practice, can be cast at such an angle that at the very least, the other guy will have to dodge it at a favorable angle to yourself. (Any angle is favorable really, you move forward slightly slower when straifing. Bonus points of flat open ground where you can move at the appropriate angle yourself to force them to move "away" from you for a brief moment.)
Though admittedly, any situation where it's required to not get hit is a bad one you shouldn't be in. Realistically you shouldn't ever have to knock someone away to avoid damage.

Again, though, I must disagree. Turning around to use the fishing rod on someone chasing you is perfectly viable to keep them away when being chased. For starters, in tight spaces, such as the train at SG4, it's fairly easy to land it, and can put a fair distance between you and the chaser with a bit of aiming. It's nothing groundbreaking, though, and only enough to eat if the chaser doesn't react to it well. Even it open spaces, however, with a good aim, the required straifing the other player has to do, from my experience, is enough to keep them away. If you can do that consistently enough, a teammate can catch up from behind, since you essentially slow you and your chaser down. Bonus points for consuming food less quickly and gaining distance in extreme cases.
Though, to be fair, that's only from my experience. Still, your experience of "it usually allows me to get free hits" isn't any better as a reason. When looking at what's a "good" idea and what's a "bad" idea, you can't declare it's a bad idea just because it "usually" doesn't work out for the player. That could imply either needing more skill or getting lucky, and neither is for sure looking at it only that way. My experience is the same, admittedly, but I wanted to give my two cents anyway.
Well if it isn't G33ke the well known maker of the rod pvp tactic. Didn't think I'd ever be seeing a post from you on the forums again! XD then again, if there were a thread for you to post on, it'd be this one. I remember back about a year ago when I saw you'd uploaded a video of you doing the no weapon challenge. It was breeze island and you rodded them from mid while playing trollish music in the background. You made one check of an impression (and a good one at that) on the mcsg community. Any experienced player knows your name when they hear it. I probably sound like a ranting Fangirl but either way, you -along with elishamutaang- May be the best, most missed, old players of this community.

Krafty

District 13
Reaction score

I'll give you a few examples of when hitting them away from me comes in handy:
- I'm being chased and I need to eat, I eat the food then quickly switch to the Fishing rod and push them away to prevent being hit.
- I'm climbing up a hill or a mountain and they're behind me, I do the same to prevent them from hitting me.
- I'm being chased and I see another guy coming from in front of me, I quickly hit him with the rod then juke right or left.
Etc.

SixZoSeven

Reaction score
I'll give you a few examples of when hitting them away from me comes in handy:
- I'm being chased and I need to eat, I eat the food then quickly switch to the Fishing rod and push them away to prevent being hit.
- I'm climbing up a hill or a mountain and they're behind me, I do the same to prevent them from hitting me.
- I'm being chased and I see another guy coming from in front of me, I quickly hit him with the rod then juke right or left.
Etc.
Nice.
Thanks for the insight.

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
Unless they are cheating/have an unfair advantage, no one can run faster than you. Why waste time with something that has a chance of failing when you have a fail-safe method: Continue running...
Because you can help a teammate catch up, save precious food in the event of a lack of such, and gain distance in tight spaces. These are reasons I already explained. If there is a potential benefit to the risk, there is justification in taking it. Aren't you taking a similar risk going to corn?

I can and did declare it as a bad idea. Most people end up doing more harm to themselves more than anything. One must account for the numerous variables that contribute to one's lack of proficiency with a fishing rod. Some have a poor internet connection while others simply don't have the motor skills to effectively use the fishing rod. While I do agree using the fishing rod gives many players a mentality that they are doing better, it really is nothing more than a false trick they are playing on themselves.
I guess I should clarify: You can declare it as a bad idea, but you'd be thinking incredibly one-dimensionally if you seriously believe that because people who do it "usually" fail from your personal experience, it's a bad idea. Rather than asking for opinions and feedback on that idea, you ended it with a statement that heavily implies "I refuse to believe it's helpful in any situation but this one." Certainly, this may not be the case, but I mean you should be careful so as not to cause that confusion.
Secondly, you're right, it may be a false trick they are playing on themselves, and they may have hard to control problems like internet connections or crashing, but read my response to the last thing below.

Imagine you are playing a game of soccer and you have an absolute garbage offensive scoring shot. However, you are great at tracking and blocking incoming balls. The coach will place you in a defensive position, such as goalie...not as a forward.
If you are not gaining benefits from something/actively good at something, you probably should not do it.
Except you're looking at that completely the wrong way.
There are no other roles in this game. There is no defense/offense position or anything. You can argue everyone has their own play-styles, but as of right now, very few individuals are known to be really good without using the fishing rod effectively and actively. There is no evidence that suggests the player has any definable group that they can be good in without the skill. If they want to be good, they "need" to be good at this. If they suck at it, their chances of being good at the game substantially decrease. If they care to be good at all, they have one option they can realistically strive for: Practice it. They may not be as good while practicing, but if they weren't at the desired level anyway...what does it matter?
If someone is naturally a quick learner for a certain thing, then certainly, they'll be put to action on specializing that thing in a role that suits it. This is SG, though, and since everyone fulfills the same role, everyone is expected to have the same skills. If they lack an important skill, then either they won't ever be good, or they'll practice it over, and over, and over. To encourage them to give up because they aren't immediately good and don't immediately grasp the concepts completely is the equivalent of encouraging someone to stop playing...well, anything just because they lack one aspect of it right away. Nobody is good at something right away, aside from a few exceptions, and you shouldn't expect everyone to be. Don't encourage a chess player to stop playing chess just because he doesn't know about one common strategy, you cannot simply expect he magically knows about it, it's a learning experience all throughout. Even the best books out there on chess strategies don't include them all, and neither do guides on using the fishing rod here. In fact, from me talking to you, there are several concepts we've discussed with each other that I've never seen discussed here.

Last edited:

plimpy41

Platinum
Reaction score
I use it to annoy people as they attempt to assail me, but their efforts are in vain, for I have the INFI ROD!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci