• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The God Debate v2

Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 58 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 60 50.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocus

Tribute
Reaction score
Agnostic. I believe in helping humanity, but don't see the God that some believe in helping as well. Maybe I'm just cynical.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Agnostic. I believe in helping humanity, but don't see the God that some believe in helping as well. Maybe I'm just cynical.
I'm a humanist, which is like an atheist/agnostic but values moral code and stuff. I'm pretty sure most atheists are actually humanists because most of them aren't violent.

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I'm sort of in between in thinking that a God may exist and that it not.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Why do I believe that God exists? Objective truth. People ask why evil exists in this world, then question how can there be a "God" if there's so much evil?! The answer is so simple! Let's start by defining evil. Evil in itself is not actually a thing. Evil is the absence of Good. What is good? By the objective definition, God is good, therefore where there is not God there is evil. God gave us free will, therefore those who choose to deny Him and do rather awful things can be classified as "evil". This loops back to the fact that God did, in fact, create evil by giving us free will.

So what are the more "scientific" proofs against God doing then? They stand some solid points. How about evolution? There is NOTHING in the bible that states that people do not adapt to their environments and go through gradual physical changes. That's simply science, no confliction with God. In fact, evolution states that all beings "evolved" from one common ancestor. The Bible states everything came from the hand of God. Yes the wordage and methods are a bit different, however the ideas are the SAME thing!

The Big Bang? God created light, and the sun, and the stars, etc. Now may I ask you, what was the Big Bang? A sudden explosion of light from presumably nothing. That seems like the work of God to me.

It's not just enough, however, to believe that God exists. To all those so say they believe in God, there's more to it. A follower of God will put their life in his hands, and allow the Holy Spirit to work through them to continue God's plan.

To all those who may be thinking "I don't know, maybe God exists." I ENCOURAGE you to seek God out. All of those who are hellbent against God, I encourage everyone to open their minds! I see a lot of people here who are against God telling Christians that they can't tell a good argument and are closed-minded, however I can say the exact same about you!

Those who have truly put their faith in God and felt His power will be the only who truly understand. It isn't a "God is or isn't real" debate, you must believe, and in that experience what God has to offer.

BenjiBaeb

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Why do I believe that God exists? Objective truth. People ask why evil exists in this world, then question how can there be a "God" if there's so much evil?! The answer is so simple! Let's start by defining evil. Evil in itself is not actually a thing. Evil is the absence of Good. What is good? By the objective definition, God is good, therefore where there is not God there is evil. God gave us free will, therefore those who choose to deny Him and do rather awful things can be classified as "evil". This loops back to the fact that God did, in fact, create evil by giving us free will.

So what are the more "scientific" proofs against God doing then? They stand some solid points. How about evolution? There is NOTHING in the bible that states that people do not adapt to their environments and go through gradual physical changes. That's simply science, no confliction with God. In fact, evolution states that all beings "evolved" from one common ancestor. The Bible states everything came from the hand of God. Yes the wordage and methods are a bit different, however the ideas are the SAME thing!

The Big Bang? God created light, and the sun, and the stars, etc. Now may I ask you, what was the Big Bang? A sudden explosion of light from presumably nothing. That seems like the work of God to me.

It's not just enough, however, to believe that God exists. To all those so say they believe in God, there's more to it. A follower of God will put their life in his hands, and allow the Holy Spirit to work through them to continue God's plan.

To all those who may be thinking "I don't know, maybe God exists." I ENCOURAGE you to seek God out. All of those who are hellbent against God, I encourage everyone to open their minds! I see a lot of people here who are against God telling Christians that they can't tell a good argument and are closed-minded, however I can say the exact same about you!

Those who have truly put their faith in God and felt His power will be the only who truly understand. It isn't a "God is or isn't real" debate, you must believe, and in that experience what God has to offer.
Seems very convincing, but I can't begin to imagine a large being magically causing a chemical reaction out of a small form of matter, seems far too far fetched to me.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I see a lot of people here who are against God
Atheists aren't against God, they just don't believe in him. That'd be like saying "Santa Claus isn't real" and then saying, "I hate Santa."

I think both atheists and theists can be good but also annoying. When you see potentially thousands of people arguing about a statement that cannot be proven true or false, it gets tiring.

If you are extremely one-sided, I hope you understand that:

1) Your opinions and beliefs are not you, they are possessions of you. Don't let them possess you and drive you to hate others for their thoughts.
2) Christianity itself suggests that people should be helped to reach the path towards enlightenment, meaning that you should wish others to follow God instead of trying to give them some silly reason to.
3) Never judge others by their beliefs, especially since you do not know the person's history or their parents' beliefs. (That is, unless their beliefs make you worry about their mental health, in which case you may want to consult a trained professional.)

BenjiBaeb

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Atheists aren't against God, they just don't believe in him. That'd be like saying "Santa Claus isn't real" and then saying, "I hate Santa."

I think both atheists and theists can be good but also annoying. When you see potentially thousands of people arguing about a statement that cannot be proven true or false, it gets tiring.

If you are extremely one-sided, I hope you understand that:

1) Your opinions and beliefs are not you, they are possessions of you. Don't let them possess you and drive you to hate others for their thoughts.
2) Christianity itself suggests that people should be helped to reach the path towards enlightenment, meaning that you should wish others to follow God instead of trying to give them some silly reason to.
3) Never judge others by their beliefs, especially since you do not know the person's history or their parents' beliefs. (That is, unless their beliefs make you worry about their mental health, in which case you may want to consult a trained professional.)
^ Preachhhhhh

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score

Your first proposition is erroneous because God is not required for "good" to be in the world. Also good and evil don't actually manifest physically. I mean, I guess we can measure the rate and patterns of neuronal impulses which give rise to these apparent attributes, but you can't measure good and evil. Good and evil are completely subjective as well, which kills your argument from morality.

The problem with your assumptions about the bible. You assert that someone can interpret the bible in a way that is consistent with current scientific knowledge. However there are hundreds of other creation stories which contradict yours and you could also argue that they are supported (even though none of it is, just using your method of argument) by modern science.

Atheists don't hate God, nor do they reject him.

The Big Bang is NOT an explosion of light. It is the expansion of space. The Big Bang is also not the beginning according to a plethora of new pre-big bang models in physics.
Here are some I know of which don't require God.
Ekpryrotic Model- The universe is a 4d brane floating in a 12 dimensional hyperspace. There are many branes stacked ontop and they vibrate, every trillion years they touch and create a Big Bang.
Paper: http://physics.princeton.edu/~steinh/vaasrev.pdf

Cyclic Model- Infinite Regress, the universe expands and contracts infinitely.
Paper: http://gravity.psu.edu/outreach/articles/bigbounce.pdf

Or maybe we live in a computer simulation?

Or maybe we're Boltzmann brains or brains in vats.

Maybe a property of nothing is that it creates something?

Maybe time is slowing down?
Paper: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.02052

Maybe time is an illusion?
Paper: http://arxiv.org/pdf/0905.0119.pdf

By the way, there are no logical arguments for God. So you're the illogical one.

The difference between an atheist and a theist is one tries to understand things, one just accepts them as true.

PS: I used to have similar views to you but I did more research and changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci