• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What do you look for in a map?

Logicalllama

Survivor
Reaction score
So, I was thinking about working on a map for MCSG, as it would be nice to pay back in some way all the hours of fun this gamemode has granted me. I'm a good builder, and nothing is entirely out of my limits. I know a lot about map making, being a part of TeamVareide. So, down to the question, what do you guys look for in an MCSG map? Yes, Breeze and sg4 are the most popular, but I don't want to create a map as small, simple and condensed as that. I want to make something with a little depth. I am swaying more towards the idea of a map set on skylands. Yes its been done, but no offence to the builder/s, it was done poorly. It's basically a random generated world that flys. My favourite style is medieval steampunk-ish builds, and they fit together well.
If you have any suggestions, please tell me them, and they will most probably be implemented into my project.
Thanks!
-Llama:D

iMightTroll

Diamond
Reaction score
Chests

But in serious , I like maps like teweran because it has high detail and its fun to roam around in. Every time it comes up in voting I get SO tempted to spam DO /v 4.

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
Feeling too sick to really do an in depth analysis for what makes a map good, but I'll do my best (will expand on this later, just getting basic idea down now).

1. Gameplay
2. Unique Theme
3. Size (Games should not take too long, yet have depth for actual map character)
4. Chest distribution
5. Terrain
6. Awesome builds
7. No death pits/inescapable holes
8. Easter eggs :D
9. General awesomeness

Toast

District 13
Reaction score
  • Unique cornucopia design
  • Hill'y evironment
  • Elabrate structures
  • Elabrate redstone traps
  • Unique terraforming style
Other wise i know you will make a good map :D

Logicalllama

Survivor
Reaction score
Chests

But in serious , I like maps like teweran because it has high detail and its fun to roam around in. Every time it comes up in voting I get SO tempted to spam DO /v 4.
Feeling too sick to really do an in depth analysis for what makes a map good, but I'll do my best (will expand on this later, just getting basic idea down now).

1. Gameplay
2. Unique Theme
3. Size (Games should not take too long, yet have depth for actual map character)
4. Chest distribution
5. Terrain
6. Awesome builds
7. No death pits/inescapable holes
8. Easter eggs :D
9. General awesomeness
Thanks guys:p How would you feel about a survival games map set on sky islands? I know how to create them so they look really nice and realistic, as if theyve been ripped from the ground. My only concern is the current Skylands map. But that's random generated terrain, and I think I could do it a lot better - no offence to the builders :3. Awesome builds - aslong as their fantasy based they should all look nice:p

I thought this was titled "what do you look for in a man?" just wanted to say that...
Also a map where it's not 75% water
I agree there. Breeze island drives me insane. - Yet another reason to set my map on skyislands. It would put a stop to these half hour chases across water and grass plains.

• Unique cornucopia design
  • Hill'y evironment
  • Elabrate structures
  • Elabrate redstone traps
  • Unique terraforming style
Other wise i know you will make a good map :D
How would you feel about a cornucopia that you cannot get back to? For instance, its set on a sky island high above all the others. There are several chests in the middle. But once you drop down, you can't get back up. I do like this idea, as I really dislike it when teams of 4+ just guard the cornucopia 24/7. I do, however, need a work around for this. If someone was afk/didnt jump down, then... wait for them to starve?:l

2020ecoman

Experienced
Reaction score
I think the cornucopia you can't get back to is an incredible idea. It would stop the 'corn camper' winning so much, and add an entirely new aspect to the game. People would have to live off what they find, search for chests, and know they won't be able to reach the sanctuary of the cornucopia again. Also, by Deathmatch, it adds another feature - much like in SG5, you can knock people off the corn, so they die of falling or get lightning'd. I have a couple ideas to add which would make these MUCH more like the Hunger Games:
- Much less tier 2 chests, many more tier 1's (This makes it difficult for experienced players to find a route that's best, giving inexperienced players a chance.)
- More traps, both in random locations and nearby chests (These traps would not necessarily kill you, they might only trap you for a few seconds, until you break through the correct leaf. I really like the idea of mid-chase traps, which would ensnare you whilst your enemy closed in.)
Hope these ideas were ok ;)

Logicalllama

Survivor
Reaction score
I think the cornucopia you can't get back to is an incredible idea. It would stop the 'corn camper' winning so much, and add an entirely new aspect to the game. People would have to live off what they find, search for chests, and know they won't be able to reach the sanctuary of the cornucopia again. Also, by Deathmatch, it adds another feature - much like in SG5, you can knock people off the corn, so they die of falling or get lightning'd. I have a couple ideas to add which would make these MUCH more like the Hunger Games:
- Much less tier 2 chests, many more tier 1's (This makes it difficult for experienced players to find a route that's best, giving inexperienced players a chance.)
- More traps, both in random locations and nearby chests (These traps would not necessarily kill you, they might only trap you for a few seconds, until you break through the correct leaf. I really like the idea of mid-chase traps, which would ensnare you whilst your enemy closed in.)
Hope these ideas were ok ;)
Some good ideas there:p Yes, but can you think of a work-around for people camping up at corn? So not jumping off just to troll. They would then also get refill if they survive that long, which is a map breaking bug. I need a fix for it, because I too love the idea of the corn being unaccesible. But I can't think of one D: Unless you spawn with half hunger or something - I wonder if thats possible? Even then if they get some food in the chests, they'll survive until refill.

Logicalllama

Survivor
Reaction score
Why not have 5 chests at the top and 5 at the bottom?
Because the whole point in having it at the top, is so teams don't dominate the refill;P Because there won't esentially be one. So you won't really ever come up against a completely tanked out team. If you had it at the bottom, theres no point in having it at the top;P

2020ecoman

Experienced
Reaction score
I can only think of 2 ideas. 1 of which would have to change the mcsg server plugin so... That's not gonna happen :) (It was to eliminate afk players after 5 minutes or so) my other idea is that the podiums somehow disappear. Not sure how, but after like 30 seconds in-game they could be pulled away, forcing afk players away from corn. However, some people may choose to camp at spawn while everyone stays below it, and if anyone else tries to do that, it's a simple fistfight to knock them off. They would have no threat for the rest of the game that someone will kill them whilst they loot spawn, and they can continue doing this for several nights, because nobody will get to them. This, I think, is the main unfortunate flaw in the unreachable corn idea, and I can't think of a way to solve it :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci