• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

I may be in a state of mini-crisis.

Blamph

District 13
Reaction score
This is a pretty tough situation. Honestly, there's no easy way to go about it comfortably. I guarantee you though that if you act relaxed, natural, and easy going during the first few days, people will accept you and you'll quickly find a group of friends. On one hand though, you'll have to be willing to put yourself out there socially. So talk to the other people around you, and try not to stand out too much by being the teachers pet of sorts. Lastly, every freshman in that school will be nervous their first week, and especially their first week. It's a new experience for everyone there, so the quicker you accept that, the quicker you'll be able to relax.

The lunch situation though, that will suck. This is where you'll have to meet someone to buddy up with quickly, and then use them as your guide (if you will) to sit with at lunch. Again, all of you guys are new to the school, so no one will really know the teachers, so just focus on getting to know them, while not becoming the intrusive know-it-all guy in class. Don't be the lost freshman, and the upperclassmen won't bug you too much, except for maybe the first week. But if you don't act too lost, even when you are lost, they won't care or even pay any attention to you.

Overall biggest keys to success: Confidence. The more confident you are with your head held up high and the witty jokes on the tip of your tongue, the more relaxed you'll look. People will know you are new. The key is to make those people want to befriend you, so make yourself seem approachable.

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
This is a pretty tough situation. Honestly, there's no easy way to go about it comfortably. I guarantee you though that if you act relaxed, natural, and easy going during the first few days, people will accept you and you'll quickly find a group of friends. On one hand though, you'll have to be willing to put yourself out there socially. So talk to the other people around you, and try not to stand out too much by being the teachers pet of sorts. Lastly, every freshman in that school will be nervous their first week, and especially their first week. It's a new experience for everyone there, so the quicker you accept that, the quicker you'll be able to relax.

The lunch situation though, that will suck. This is where you'll have to meet someone to buddy up with quickly, and then use them as your guide (if you will) to sit with at lunch. Again, all of you guys are new to the school, so no one will really know the teachers, so just focus on getting to know them, while not becoming the intrusive know-it-all guy in class. Don't be the lost freshman, and the upperclassmen won't bug you too much, except for maybe the first week. But if you don't act too lost, even when you are lost, they won't care or even pay any attention to you.

Overall biggest keys to success: Confidence. The more confident you are with your head held up high and the witty jokes on the tip of your tongue, the more relaxed you'll look. People will know you are new. The key is to make those people want to befriend you, so make yourself seem approachable.
Yeah, all freshmen are nervous their first week, but ESPECIALLY their first week. The difference between the two is radical!

sorry, i like taking advantage of people's mistakes x3

And I actually did read the post, I think it will help Baaclan a lot c':

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
Ok, so here is what I recommend you do from my past observations with new students.
  1. Make friends with the people who sit next to you in class. These people you are going to have to interact with anyway, because most likely you will have to do some work with a partner, so this is a easy person to get to know.
  2. I don't know if you play sports, but if you do that is by far the easiest way to make friends. You will already be on the same team, so you already have something you both enjoy. You can easily make 3-5 good friend through this. A club might be good too for similar reasons. Some clubs meet at lunch too, so that could fix your lunch problem.
  3. Once you have made some friends, go and hangout with them at lunch. Obviously this will be hard on the first day, as even if you meet someone in your first few classes before lunch, you probably won't know where they hangout. So, here are some time killers you can use to get through your first lunch without looking like a loner.
  • Get lunch from the cafeteria. Take your time leaving your class before lunch, so the line to get food is as long as possible.
  • When looking for a table to eat, find one with another person that looks like a loner. Sit near them, so it looks like you are not alone. Since you are shy, you probably won't want to try to introduce yourself, but maybe they will. If they do be social and seize the opportunity. This could be a person to eat lunch with for the rest of the year. If they don't try to be social, just eat your lunch quickly and leave. If they are social, hangout with them for the rest of lunch.
  • If you had to eat quickly and leave, just go to the library and do HW. There you can be a loner, and no one will notice, because they will just think you are trying to be productive and work alone.
  • Obviously apart from the end of the second bullet, this is not a long term solution, you need to make friends. Only use this on the first day, if you haven't made any friends yet.
Ok, now in terms of finding classes. I recommend getting there early and having a walk around the school. Find where all of the classes you have before lunch are, and then at lunch you can find where the rest of them are. This is another thing to do to pass time at lunch. Finally, making new friends and fitting in is possible. Last year, a guy moved to my school from another country part way through the year. He was in one of my classes and he ended up making a lot of friends and now fits in perfectly.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Also just be yourself, people detect "plastics" fast. So don't try to do your hair different, or wear something you normally wouldn't to school.

Turtle

Diamond
Reaction score
In all seriousness, don't hang out with the "Cool Kids" not because u are not cool, but all they do is hang out with the new kid and in their tiny brains they think, "Be nice to him, he buys us pot :D" Find the right friend group :D

Edog

Platinum
Reaction score
In all seriousness, don't hang out with the "Cool Kids" not because u are not cool, but all they do is hang out with the new kid and in their tiny brains they think, "Be nice to him, he buys us pot :D" Find the right friend group :D
So true...

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
make m8s with everyone in your class and don't do anything to make yourself hated, just be cool and talk to people who you think you can be good m8s with and you'll be good

Blamph

District 13
Reaction score
Yeah, all freshmen are nervous their first week, but ESPECIALLY their first week. The difference between the two is radical!

sorry, i like taking advantage of people's mistakes x3

And I actually did read the post, I think it will help Baaclan a lot c':
Keeping it there because I laughed when I reread it, but ESPECIALLY because I laughed when I reread it!

NuJaan

Diamond
Reaction score
Honestly, just be yourself. It's cliche as heck, and people are going to think I'm some sort of guidance counselor but I want to tell you about one quote I always live by.

"Be yourself, and the right people will like you."

I have been planning to make a thread like this for a while now but more about my peers not knowing I play Minecraft, but it's a topic I have talked to my parents about, and they give me the same answer time and time again about how I need to be myself. Don't get me wrong, they are right. There are really simple fixes to a lot of my problems, but I can't do simple things for reasons I hate to talk about. It's a fairly simple situation, and I never face it which is my big problem.

Basically, no one except for my two close friends know that I do YouTube and I trust them a lot so I know they won't tell. My main problem is I'm afraid someone from my school is going to see I run a Minecraft based youtube channel, which is my passion and I love to do it yet I have so many friends that I have created such great relationships with who are not very fond of Minecraft. Concisely, I feel like if I introduce the fact that I am a Minecraft player, I will be that guy everyone looks at as a <insert not nice word here> and will essentially be an outcast if I introduce YouTube.

I know I just said the quote about being yourself, so I know it's weird that I introduce a problem of mine so quickly about me not wanting to express my real self to people.

What I really want you to take away from this is, don't get stuck in my situation. Be yourself from day one, and you won't have these complications like I do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci