• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Teaming is unfair and anti-competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon6895

Platinum
Reaction score
All you have to do is play defensively.

Today on SG4 there was only 4 people left, me vs a team of 3, full iron, iron swords/diamond, stacked off refill and everything. I killed two of them using the Radio tower chokepoint and finished the last guy off in DM. If you know the map well and you're strategic then you should be able to take out rather large teams. Chokepoints are key. :)

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
All you have to do is play defensively.

Today on SG4 there was only 4 people left, me vs a team of 3, full iron, iron swords/diamond, stacked off refill and everything. I killed two of them using the Radio tower chokepoint and finished the last guy off in DM. If you know the map well and you're strategic then you should be able to take out rather large teams. Chokepoints are key. :)
If I wanted tips on how to beat teams I'd ask for them.

TimmaaaaH

Platinum
Reaction score
Surely teaming will always be an issue, even with the dedicated teaming servers. But yeah, having servers like these will definitely decrease the number of teams at the very least. Another way that would help against teaming, would be to change a player's nametag to a random name and turn off chat in-game. Maybe give everyone a random skin aswell, but idk about that.
Really good thread btw :3

Unuxon

Career
Reaction score
I respect your perspective on teams, That being said i know this will never happen on MCSG. For this to happen we would lose a lot of the interesting and fun aspects that a lot of people like. Some may think it would be worth it but i'm sure a lot of people would also disagree.

Krafty

District 13
Reaction score
Nuthin u can do about teaming. Get used to it. Sry

Brandon6895

Platinum
Reaction score
If I wanted tips on how to beat teams I'd ask for them.
All right, you know how to take out teams, now why is this thread still open? If you can take out teams I don't know the issue here, sure it's annoying to run into teams but that is the game and you should get used to it.

I_love_desk

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
All right, you know how to take out teams, now why is this thread still open? If you can take out teams I don't know the issue here, sure it's annoying to run into teams but that is the game and you should get used to it.
Because there's a difference between running into teams occasionally and having to take out about 3 of them every time you want to win a game.

Skellie

Experienced
Reaction score
I know what you're thinking. Real no-no, up there with grace period, but please hear me out.

MCSG has come a long way from beta, for good and for bad, and naturally the climate has changed. The serious players used to go solo, whereas the more inexperienced players would be more likely to team as they got a feel for the survival games. Blamph would always preach that solo was the way to go if y0u wanted to improve. However, nowadays MCSG is home to a host of tryhards with their gaming PCs and mechanical keyboards their complete lack of empathy for other players. The skill level a player needs to win a decent portion of their games solo is unreasonably high- players that used to win 1/2 of their games now typically win 1/4 or less, and this is entirely due to the ubiquity of teams, and to a lesser extent hackers (but that's a separate issue).

If you think about it, teaming is grossly unfair. There used to be frequent threads on how to take out teams- the standard procedure being to use chokepoints, spam fire, split them up etc, but nowadays a team are just as likely to use the more advanced tactics on you, and many teams are frustratingly smart in that they never separate by more than 5 blocks. On the face of it, pitting 1 player against 2 equally skilled players is just nonsensical- I challenge you to think of another game where this is done (turn-based games like chess don't count). Teaming is something that is deeply rooted in MCSG, due it obviously being based on the Hunger Games movies- but in MCSG you can't kill somebody with one arrow to the chest, or blow up the cornucopia and with it your enemies food, can you? The comparison cannot be made- teaming in MCSG is far more overpowered than it is in the movies.

In the last game I played, I was up against a team of 3 in full iron with a seemingly endless supply of arrows and golden apples. We were the last 4 players and there was nothing I could have done to turn the game my way. I played to the best of abilities (and im no skrub, k?) and managed to take one of them out, but in a cramped deathmatch arena with no more golden apples, 5 hearts remaining and a diminished supply of arrows I stood no chance.

For me, what makes the survival games so intense is that, no matter how bad things are looking for you, there's always a chance you can clutch the win with some deathmatch heroics or tactical nous, but in situations like this you honestly might as well just /kill, and that completely ruins the game- the excitement is gone. And then when sh** like this happens, it makes me want to quit the game completely.

Of course people enjoy playing with friends, and I bet there are already some people getting ready to tell me that I'm just a loner who doesn't appreciate how fun it is, but you can play with friends without ruining everybody else's chances. I play with friends all the time, but whenever I do we always FFA or stay separate out of respect for the other players, which I find a lot more fun than going around gang banging randies. That said, teaming is still fun in itself, and of course clans must be considered. I would advocate dedicated servers for both- clan servers have been on the agenda for a while, so why not teaming servers too?

In my mind, teaming servers would work like this: there would be servers for 2 teams, and servers for 3 teams, and perhaps more. Upon joining the lobby, players would have a compass that when right clicked would bring up GUI with a list items named after all of the other players in the lobby, from which your teammates could be selected. When somebody else selects you, their item would change, and you would have to click it yourself in order to confirm the team (those who have played swish 2v2s and 3v3s will be familiar with this system). Once your team is made, you and your teammate's names shows up as a different colour in tablist, and in-game the players' names have a prefix with the team's colour in parentheses. When the lobby ends, players not in a team are kicked from the server. Deathmatches would be between 2 teams, i.e. at 3 or 4 players for 2 team servers, depending on whether a member had died. Scrim and clan battle servers would work similarly, with the designated leader selecting his teammates and them all having to confirm. Anyone not in a clan at the end of the lobby would spectate, and there would be no sponsoring. I don't know about you, but I would find teaming in a game where everyone else is teamed a lot more intense, and a lot more gratifying than teaming on a bunch of solo players.

Of course there are issues about enforcing the teams, but with coloured names in the tab menu and prefixes to people's displayed names it would be as easy as recording two players not attacking each other at close proximity. I'm anticipating a lot of disagreement, but I genuinely think that in order for MCSG to become as fun as it once was, radical steps need to be taken.
I personally love teams. If everyone was playing solo, the game would be way too easy and significantly more boring.
Many people quit MCSG because it's the same thing over and over again. It's more fun to play with friends, and that would be ruined if teams were nerfed.
However, with the whole "eZ" and "rekt" thing, I have made a thread about it that will hopefully attract the attention of the staff.
We all hate it, yet most of us do it. I'm going to try and make it punishable.
I like it as-is with the teams, but their respect for other players needs to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci