• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Map Review of Every 24-Player MCSG Map

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
My 2 cents:
Teweran Survival Games 3: This map is arguably the best-built map on the servers. It truly looks amazing. However, the gameplay is horrible. The cornucopia is a challenge in itself and not to mention the shear size and complexity of the map. I always keep in mind when I am building: “It can look like the best thing in the world, but if it is not good for gameplay, do not make it a map.” For this reason, I believe TSG3 should be cut from the mix.
This map is stunning, and imo the gameplay isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It's in desperate need of launchpads at spawn and a separate deathmatch arena but should definitely not be removed imo.
Fallen Empire: No one ever gave this map a chance. It looks beautiful and has good gameplay. (It is a bit large, but some maps are.) However, I never see this map-making a “rebound” because it has fallen to deep into the “never voted, must be awful category”. This map should be removed due to the lack of popularity and the fact that it may not ever make a comeback.
I like Fallen Empire as a map, but it went out of favour due to bugginess and the double corn, which made for really long games. These are both no longer an issue and as a result I've noticed it steadily gaining popularity so I think it should stay. And besides, we shouldn't remove a map just because it's unpopular if there's nothing wrong with the map itself.
Fortress Pyke: This is a very fun and interesting map. The builds are cool, and the gameplay is nice as well. A revamp of this map is probably due though as most of the builds are becoming "outdated". Definitely a keeper, just needs some work.
I don't mind Fortress Pyke but it really needs a revamp. The tiering is good but the terraforming is world painter af and the builds are unspectacular.
Lobby Games: No comment…
I /hub every time this map gets voted because I drop to 15 fps in the lobby area, which also happens to be where the only viable route is thanks to some horribly unbalanced tiering.
Orinigs (Requiem v2.0): The cornucopia looks nice. The trees are also very nice. But gameplay (much like TSG3) just doesn’t make the cut. Whether it is falling off the crazy structure or playing 20-30 minute games, the gameplay is just lacking on this map. It failed my balance of looks/gameplay test.
I really like Origins. It's fairly well tiered and undeniably aesthetically pleasing and the walkways and elevated structures give it a different dynamic to other maps for PvP, as well as providing a tactical challenge.
Eye of Horus: This is another “TSG3 Effect” map. I feel that the builds are some of the best MCSG has seen, but the gameplay is just not up to par. The leaves/fences/holes that are all over the ground are hard to maneuver and the massive builds cause lag. Once again, I really like the idea and builds, but gameplay just makes the map so unbalanced on the Good Builds/Good Gameplay scale.
I don't mind the map itself but the lag is appalling, and has a lot to do with the number of unnecessary item frames. It was build by a clan who for the most part have good computers, which means that almost no consideration was given to how it would run for players with average computers. Another map I often /hub on.
Moonbase 9: Many of you may be shocked with this, but hear me out. I took the time as a spectator one day to look around the map with a keen eye. By looking carefully I noticed quite a bit: The terraforming is sloppy. If you take time to look you will notice holes everywhere, blocks sticking out, and that massive mountain to nowhere surrounding the map. Also, the builds, as cool as they are, really aren’t anything special. And the darkness makes for interesting gameplay, but not good gameplay. I think this map is helped by the fact that it is so dark. If it wasn’t as dark as it is, I can see many more people noticing building/terraforming errors. Also, the fact that it is so dark greatly inhibits gameplay. I think this map should be removed to make way for better things.
I agree that the terraforming is sloppy in places and that it could definitely use a revamp but the gameplay and tiering is too good to warrant being removed imo.
Treacherous Heights: The new Treacherous Heights looks cool, but is still not good for gameplay. The huge mountain and the abundance of snow make it hard to have enjoyable pvp. I just think this map doesn’t balance well on the looks good/good gameplay scale.
The original version has poor gameplay and doesn't look good enough to justify keeping it on the servers, but I think we should at least give the new version a chance before removing it completely.
Demon's Breeze: No comment…. (I am against remakes.)
I generally don't like remakes but I think most people will agree with me that this is by far the most creative and different from the original of all the remakes. Good tiering and fun, tactical gameplay that lets you take out teams with relative ease means it should stay imo.

Anything I haven't commented on I agree with. I haven't been able to play the new maps enough to pass judgement on them but from what I can tell Atlantis is the only one I would definitely like to see gone.

SuperxAndrew

District 13
Reaction score
I am not going to spend 30 minutes responding to everyone's posts. However, if anyone cares, I will say this:

You may like Origins, you may like Demon's Breeze, or any other map I said I think should be removed, but, aside from personal preferences, think about it. Origins may look cool, and the game play may not be that bad, but the fact that it is hardly voted (don't even try to argue this, it is rarely voted) shows that it is taking up space. Same with the other maps. Sometimes we have to let go to make way for newer/better things. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but we can't argue that maps like Origins isn't taking up space. The idea is to get all community favorite maps so their a voting battle in lobby. Ideally, even if some of us like a map, if it isn't competitive in the voting system it should be gone. (The only exceptions would be SG1-5, etc.).

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
KorStonesword does have a valid point on the "Community" maps. There are plenty of maps in that list suggested for removal that, at one time or another, had the same level (or greater) of community support that Turbulence et al enjoy today.

MCSG is fickle like that, and unfortunately it's often the mapmakers and committee that bear the brunt of the backlash when it occurs.

Since Origins is a hot topic in this thread for some reason, I'll add my two cents.

Origins has been flawed in implementation for almost a year now. Tiering is atrocious, keystones are still broken, and the DM arena was never implemented. The current tiering scheme has everyone hopping about the overworld rather than fighting at the points of interest, and nobody is competing for the keystones whatsoever.

I still like the map. It offers something different from most MCSG maps. And I still see it played every now and then, but the plural of anecdote is not data. It's comfortably settled into a novelty map that sees the light of day every now and then, it has its fair share of fans, and I'm happy with that. Before you remove it, let me update it so it plays as intended.

Last edited:

Chiller4

District 13
Reaction score
I would make a huge post stating all of my opinions, but I pretty much agree completely with what you said

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
i did play v1 and i dont get nostalgia when playing them
his (yes vareide is a guy) maps are big, especially sg3, sg2, sg1 and sg5. i dont like sg4 because it is too overplayed
I thought it was common knowledge that he was a guy :p Anyway, I like big maps, because the longer the game, the more fun there is to have

J

Joel/MadDawg

Very nice job going over every map, and I'd have to say I agree with most of your opinions. Here are the only differences I have:

Teweran Survival Games 3: You're right that it is probably one of the best built maps on mcsg, but I'm disagreeing with you on the gameplay. I think that it gives a unique pvp experience, with much more hunting and varied terrain than an average map. I personally would like it to stay, and I expect it will.

Origins (Requiem v2.0): This is my other favorite map build-wise on mcsg. It just looks so awesome and the detail is amazing (made even more impressive by the fact that it is a solo build). Plus, I actually find that this map plays similar to most maps in pvp when you get deep in to the game and everyone is on the ground level. I would also like this map to stay.

Survival Games Ancient Japan: I have no love for a map thats sides are copy/pasted. In my opinion it should be removed.

Winds of Change: You can tell that it was built in 30 hours. The terraforming gets sloppy in some places, and it overall just doesn't feel very polished. Also, the few builds besides the ships aren't very detailed. I would remove this one, but if more time was put into it to add builds, detail, and clean up the terraforming I would be fine with it staying.

Breeze Island 1/2: I realize that Breeze Island 1 is incredibly old and nostalgic (as a decently long v1 player I have quite a few memories on it), but I would remove it and keep Breeze 2. Breeze 2 is plain and simple and better version of Breeze 1, so if I was in power I wouldn't keep it around (I do realize that this will never happen; it is just my opinion).

reven86

Platinum
Reaction score
I agree with all except demons breeze and fortune island.

Fortune has a good balance of t2's. Pretty much any island you go to, you can find them. That make it easier for new players to find routes. I like the pvp at spawn. Its unique.

Demon's breeze, idk, as far as pvp, the only good spot is corn. The rest is just death by lava. but there is something about the map that I like. As long as I am not getting hit into lava, I'm pretty happy lol

DaFiperz

Tribute
Reaction score
I thought it was common knowledge that he was a guy :p Anyway, I like big maps, because the longer the game, the more fun there is to have
not when you have play a thirty minute game when you have to go somewhere in 10

DaFiperz

Tribute
Reaction score
people who wanted to know (but probs not)
i played v1, but i was a huge noob and didnt really care about what maps were being played but i do remeber hating sg1 and 2. when sg3 came along, i played it and i had to leave because the game was taking too long and there were 4 people left. sg4, is way too overplayed and sg 5 crashed my computer the first time it was released (btw i have a decent computer, but it was probably from all the snow). sg 6 and sg 7 are on the hive and they are terrible maps as well.
i will cause flame on this thread because i hate vareide maps just because they are big, boring and i can never find chests on them.
they should be removed
these maps create no nostalgia for me

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
I actually agreed with a lot of this thread, to my own surprise. It's rare that someone has similar opinions to my own about the maps. :p

However, and it's probably not a good thing but I tend to strongly dislike maps that are overplayed, regardless of how good they are. I've basically decided that I'm never again going to play Breeze Island, SG4, Holiday Resort, and Valleyside. Never again. I just find no fun in them anymore. But as long as the community as a whole does, then by all means they should continue being played.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci